Andrew's resurrected 1/72 Armourfast Farmhouse....

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good morning all.....again....

So having achieved such a good effect with the tiles, I'm going to experiment with the house walls.

When I first came back to the hobby my first online modelling friend was a man called Sean (aka vindicareassassin) - a couple of you will remember him from another site. He provided a lot of advice, some equipment and even kits to help get me started, including my first AB a Revell Vario bottom feed (0.7mm needle).

He kindly commented on the start of this build when I started it, nearly six years ago, and explained his technique for buildings. His technique was to spray all surfaces black at 45 degrees in the 'up' direction, then down at 45 degrees in white. So I thought why not.....

Below are a couple of examples of what he achieved, followed by my preshade. I used Vallejo Grey primer given that I don't have much white and it's a very light grey.

The kit he showed me is the 1/72 Airfix resin worskhop - remember this was done with a 0.7mm needle AB.....

ATB

Andrew

------------------------------------------------

Sean's workshop.

1639902607858.png
1639902691271.png

My attempt at the preshade.....I tried to graduate it a bit, so it goes lighter the lower you get - not completely successfully.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice preshade Andrew. Should give a good variation to the top coat.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks like you are having fun with this.....I can't see it as being anything but successful. A very interesting approach to shading.
Rick H.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looks like you are having fun with this.....I can't see it as being anything but successful. A very interesting approach to shading.
Rick H.
Thanks Rick. Much appreciated.

To be honest I had forgotten about Sean's build. It was only when I went back and looked at the old thread that I was reminded of it, even then it took me a few days to realise what he meant about the angles. To honest if it doesn't quite work out it's not a biggie given what it's for.

ATB.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It's coming along nicely. The roof looks great, a bit of speckeling of green moss and soot from the chimney and it will tone down a bit.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It's coming along nicely. The roof looks great, a bit of speckeling of green moss and soot from the chimney and it will tone down a bit.
Thanks Ian

Will definitely be adding some soot and had thought about adding some moss too.

Have also thought about a way of giving the roof a slightly worn look, as in one of the example shots.

Thanks for dropping in.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So the sides of the house got a coat of paint earlier this week. Looking at picture of Normandy 'farmhouses' it seems pretty much any colour goes.....in any state of repair.....and a fair few had no paint on at all

I was aiming for a slightly pink sandy colour but I didn't add enough pink and/or dark enough pink to the base colour. I used Vallejo Model Colour Dark Sand 70.847 (not that it is very dark IMHO) and Vallejo Model Colour Basic Skin Tone 70.815 (a pretty light pink).

In hindsight I probably put one coat or two on too many but at least it's subtle and not 'in your face' but I have three other buildings I can practice on and it looks ok. As it's quite subtle, the effect doesn't show up too well but the pictures are below for better or worse.

ATB.

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Andrew,

Mr. Late As Hell here!!! Sorry I haven't commented sooner, but I think this looks just great and the color too. The roof sets it off, so no need to worry about the house color. I think the fun will be trying to paint the vine growing on the side Sir. I know you'll ace it when the time comes. How high does your optivisor lens go??? Happy Ho, Ho, Ho to you and the family and kudos to Junior for his fantastic work too!!! Stay safe and most of all, enjoy.......

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Andrew, here is where you put the "wash" of your choice on and tint it to the colour you are going for.....will also calm it down a bit. Have fun, Rick H.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Evening Andrew,

Mr. Late As Hell here!!! Sorry I haven't commented sooner, but I think this looks just great and the color too. The roof sets it off, so no need to worry about the house color. I think the fun will be trying to paint the vine growing on the side Sir. I know you'll ace it when the time comes. How high does your optivisor lens go??? Happy Ho, Ho, Ho to you and the family and kudos to Junior for his fantastic work too!!! Stay safe and most of all, enjoy.......

Prost
Allen

No problem at all Allen. Good to have you aboard. I think I have plan for the vine but we'll have to see if that works out....my biggest problem with that is whatever approach I use, it has to be durable because of what we use it for and because it will stored in a box with other things.

As for the optivisor, I think it's 3x....I assume you saw my latest arrivals??? ;)

Andrew, here is where you put the "wash" of your choice on and tint it to the colour you are going for.....will also calm it down a bit. Have fun, Rick H.

Thanks Rick. Good point. Hadn't thought of using that approach, so thanks for the tip.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Evening all

So in between coats of paint on Junior's meditating Cromwell tank commander, I did a bit more on this.

I blocked out the corner stones in mid-ish grey (Humbrol Tank grey H67) to act as a base coat for the next stages - it therefore obviously looks a bit stark at the moment.

I also blacked out the vine on the wall a ahead of painting a wood-ish colour. It looks a bit messy in places but in most cases it will be hidden behind foliage of one sort or another.

Next up the doors, shutters and window frames.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good to see this progressing. Looks like a candidate for other Vallejo game washes…..there’s plenty of texture on there that they will bring out…..

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice. :thumb2: Rick H.

Thanks Rick. Glad your enjoying the ride.

Good to see this progressing. Looks like a candidate for other Vallejo game washes…..there’s plenty of texture on there that they will bring out…..

Thanks for the idea Tim. Had been thinking about how to approach the next bit.

In answer to your question on my Cromwell build, asking if I'd used any other of the Game Washes other than the Flesh wash.....the answer is a yes.

I've got the Umber Wash 73.203 and Sepia Shade 73.200 (see below). I used them on my Sexton and 25 pdr crews to make up for incorrectly following your figure painting guide from memory. Depending on the colour I'd used for the British Uniforms, I used Sepia on its own for the lightest colour uniform, a mix of the two for the mid-tone or just the Umber for the darkest one.

Which would you use for the walls? I think the umber might be a bit too dark but if the Sepia is too light it's much easier to make something darker than lighter....or maybe a mix?

Thanks again for stopping by both of you.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andrew. I’d be tempted to use 73202 pale grey on the walls. It’s great over white or ivory to add shadows, so should add nice cool shadows to your light grey walls. For umber and sepia think of one as a cool shade (sepia) and a warm shade (umber).

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew. I’d be tempted to use 73202 pale grey on the walls. It’s great over white or ivory to add shadows, so should add nice cool shadows to your light grey walls. For umber and sepia think of one as a cool shade (sepia) and a warm shade (umber).
So yet more expense!! ;) Will have a look to see if I get it on free delivery, or find an excuse to order some more things form John.... :smiling5:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good Andrew and coming along nicely.

Ron
Ron

Coming from the master at scratching things at this scale I'll take that as a compliment!! Can I send you my unbuilt 1/72 buildings to finish off for me????;):smiling5:

ATB

Andrew