Andrew's resurrected 1/72 Armourfast Farmhouse....

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good morning all

So not much bench time over the past couple of weeks but the house is finished - I think.

I still have the windows, leaves for the climber and a final coat of varnish to do but I want to finish the base before I do that, just to make sure it all ties in and doesn't need any final tweaks.

I've added some wooden batons to the inside of the upper walls up to the roofline. They wall were a bowed out a bit and didn't sit properly - I tried to ignore it but couldn't. It's not 100% 'perfect' but at normal viewing distance you can't see it.

As per Tim's recommendation I got a bottle of Vallejo's Model Game Wash Pale Grey 73.202 and, as he hinted at in his post, it's pretty versatile:
  • As per his suggestion a wash over the walls does add some nice light shadow and makes the walls 'pop' a bit more.
  • It turns out it's pretty good at making nice white window frames and sills look dirty.
  • It's also good at making the shutters painted in Vallejo Model Air Faded PRU Blue 71.109, look more warn and faded.
  • I also added a light coat under each of the window sills to create some subtle shadow/dirt.
  • I tries adding water marks where it's run off the edges of the window sills....not 100% happy but it will do.
  • It also helped to tone down the moss/mould effect I trying to achieve along the bottom of the wall,to represent where damp and rain water had helped it grow. It's not 'perfect' but will do for now until the base is finished and I can give it one final look
  • I also mixed it with Vallejo Model Wash Grey 76.516 (quite a dark grey) to create a mid-ish tone grey wash. I used this to redefine the shutter planks where the pale grey had gathered as I gave them the faded look. At this scale I didn't want something too dark as I thought it would look out of place and I have to say I think I hit the right tone (pun intended!! ;) :smiling5:

So all in all Pale Grey 73.202 does seem to be pretty versatile! Thanks again Tim!

ACW as usual peeps!!

ATB

Andrew

------------------------------

Batons in place and painted

The rear elevation as I think this gives the best overall impression

On the base.....
ignore the white under the walls you can see, this is masking to keep PVA glue off the base for when I do the grass.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking really good Andrew.
With respect to the VJ washes, glad you like them :thumb2: I find the more I use them the more I find other uses for them. They are a great addition to the painters armoury. I don’t think I paint anything now without using them somewhere along the line.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A great suggestion Tim and well employed Andy.........The results are more than evident. I particularly like the results around the windows......that under shading does make 'em really stand out. :thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking really good Andrew.
With respect to the VJ washes, glad you like them :thumb2: I find the more I use them the more I find other uses for them. They are a great addition to the painters armoury. I don’t think I paint anything now without using them somewhere along the line.

Thanks Tim.. They are good and as you say they are very versatile indeed.

A great suggestion Tim and well employed Andy.........The results are more than evident. I particularly like the results around the windows......that under shading does make 'em really stand out. :thumb2:

Thanks Rick, much appreciated and I am quite pleased with it!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning all,

So I managed to get this finished yesterday having finished off the climber/creeper thingy, added some moss to the roof at Comrade Race's suggestion and added some windows.

I'm off work so this week for half term and to use holiday up before I lose it, so once the wind has died down I'll grab some proper pictures outside in some natural light.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

Hi Andrew
I look forward to the photos. You've put a lot of thought, time and effort into this and it shows.
Jim
Wonderful work Andrew. It's all tieing in nicely

Thanks gents. Still blowing too strong to take pictures outside....the roof will likely blow off! Will hopefully calm down a bit later!!

ATB

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking fwd to the photos, I hear Bob has glued his wig on !

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

Completed thread to appear shortly, in the completed section.

ATB

Andrew