Andrew's Resurrected 1/72 MiniArt Town House

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I did their 20mm Farmhouse a while back. I have other MDF stuff, but I can’t remember who by…..a stone barn and a small shop. Got a cafe to build one day as well……only thing I find about MDF buildings is that they can be a little “flat” so need texture adding. The roofs are pretty much throw away as well. I have used mine as a substructure only, replacing the surface with either injection moulded roofing or separate slates made from thin card. If you can find one the old Airfix Waterloo farmhouse has a lot of potential, but only if you can get it cheap enough….. UK outline stuff is easy to source, but continental outline at 20mm is a lot harder….
Just had a look....£80ish for the Airfix kit....not cheap. Agree about a bit 'flat' though.

I still can't get over how bad the Miniart one is given the rest of the kit - especially when you at the Armourfast one that's half the price!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting stuff Andrew. I must admit the parts count is ridiculous though. Getting the walls flat and square must be quite hard, and you are left with some horrible joins to eliminate. The roof does look poor, and it will be very hard to get the joints looking good because it’s so visible. I think I’d be tempted to replace it with one of the Wills moulded tile sheets (Injection moulded sort, not basic plastic card. That stuff does have enough texture). Strange really, it isn’t as if the parts are even that big….
Still be good to see what you do with it though. Nice start so far…..

Hi Tim

Is this what you meant re the roof tiles - I have a couple of sheets in the stash.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
HI all

So the walls have been joined together. I wasn't too worried about this because this is one area the kit is very good - nice 45 degree angles at the corners with good alignment points.

Nevertheless, I used a tower of Lego and clamps to make sure it was a square as possible. It worked pretty well and there's only one corner where there is a slight gap. I still need to work on the join lines between the floors but I have a plan for that.

The rubber bands are just for reassurance as I don't have those nice clamps to help the building stay square.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

----------------------

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Andrew.
Nice photos showing the corner detail. Considering they could have just done a 45 with out the lock and had all the resultant miss alignment as you attempted to put it together it's very neat .
Reminds me of some foam board corner locks that top end builders like David Neat would produce .

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have a sort of roller device that is used in card making that produces very convincing corrugated iron effects (sorry, not at home so can't post a picture). Very cheap and durable!
Steve

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning Andrew.
Nice photos showing the corner detail. Considering they could have just done a 45 with out the lock and had all the resultant miss alignment as you attempted to put it together it's very neat .
Reminds me of some foam board corner locks that top end builders like David Neat would produce .

Thanks John.

It's definitely one of the better features of the kit. It's a bit of an enigma to be honest. In some cases it's pretty good, such as the brick details and the stone window surrounds and yet some pretty poor thing - the door frames are 'hinged' to open outwards (and they are on the right way....), the build means you get those horrible join lines and the truly awful roof.

If I had paid the full RRP I would be a bit miffed but as it only cost me £2 I think I can live with it!

I have a sort of roller device that is used in card making that produces very convincing corrugated iron effects (sorry, not at home so can't post a picture). Very cheap and durable!
Steve

Steve

When you're back home can you post a picture - no rush.

Thanks both for stopping by.

Andrew

Reactions: JR

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks John.

It's definitely one of the better features of the kit. It's a bit of an enigma to be honest. In some cases it's pretty good, such as the brick details and the stone window surrounds and yet some pretty poor thing - the door frames are 'hinged' to open outwards (and they are on the right way....), the build means you get those horrible join lines and the truly awful roof.

If I had paid the full RRP I would be a bit miffed but as it only cost me £2 I think I can live with it!

Steve

When you're back home can you post a picture - no rush.

Thanks both for stopping by.

Andrew
Wilco!
Steve

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Awesome tool! would like to find one a bit smaller....
Might find what you want here Rick. It’s on your side of the pond as well….