Andrew's visit to the Army Flying Museum @ Middle Wallop

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all

As some of you may recall, Junior I visited the Army Air Museum on Saturday afternoon ahead of our visit to TANKEEST 2021 on Sunday, as it was on the route to our hotel in Salisbury.

I've not been before and so decided to stop in at the suggestion of a colleague. For those who've not been before, it's not a big museum - certainly not a Bovington or Duxford - but despite that there's a surprising amount to see. We only had a couple of hours but I reckon if you took your time and looked at everything closely it would take you about 3 hours to go around. There's also a small shop and café on site.

Below are a few taster pics. The full album can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/139640818@N02/C0Mf68

As always, I've tried to take a picture of the information card followed by the photo of the 'thing', although it wasn't always possible and in some cases there weren't any information cards.

You're more than welcome to take copies of whatever photos you want. As you'll see it's not all flying things.....

Hope you enjoy them

ATB

Andrew

51501450689_50ddeb0eaa_b.jpg

51500961138_829fb2d015_b.jpg

51500961178_000f9788fe_b.jpg

51501661640_f51cd8fa0c_b.jpg

51501451029_8bf22e6feb_b.jpg

51500737396_5993a573a4_b.jpg

51499941507_c53cf3cffe_b.jpg

51499942047_143d271229_b.jpg

51499942202_15ccb85f3b_b.jpg

A flying car......probably the oddest thing here.....;)

51500962008_7ffb7ce0d3_b.jpg

51499942332_3a36666441_b.jpg

51501662590_4ef34d0aff_b.jpg

51500738411_6aeb69effe_b.jpg

51501662895_f3f8bb7b48_b.jpg

This was an Argentine Huey captured in the Falklands.

51500738686_5851067859_b.jpg

51501663190_fa414f2c18_b.jpg

51501663715_4621a577b7_b.jpg

This is an original Horsa glider.....

51499943727_f203e5a85d_b.jpg

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I remember those Hueys - a lifetime away now I'm pleased to say.

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
I have many happy memories of Middle Wallop, my grandparents farm was just down the road.

Most vivid in my mind was seeing Ken Wallis flying " Little Nellie" with full pyro effects & the Bond theme playing through the PA system (in the echoing way only a multi speaker set up in a massive field can sound). '76, I think.

Happy days.

hedu3un.jpg

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Nice pics Andrew - I assume the ZSU is a Gulf War trophy (?) I hoped the info plaque would say where they got it......

Nick

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great set of shots Andrew. When I went I thought it was a good museum, with some things not seen elsewhere. They used to hold a modelling exhibition as well. Did you see the live shell that was plucked out of the air by a first war aircraft observer? Quite a remarkable object I thought…..

D

Deleted member 5496

Nice reminder Andrew.

On holiday based in Salisbury 3 years ago. Last holiday before Covid. Pauline wanted to visit the
house & area she lived in once.

Bombed like hell in Morden London & evacuated to this little village not far from the Wallop place. .

On the way back came across by accident & stopped for lunch at the museum. Watched the new
pilots going through their paces with Helicopters.

Great museum & more than well worth a visit. Great number of interests. Even Pauline was fascinated.

Great holiday. A chalet on the edge of a field of Lavender. Every morning we had a deer who visited us.
Must have been something nice in the chalet garden.

Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What was the village Laurie? I was still living in Salisbury then….

D

Deleted member 5496

A little way from Salisbury. Shabourne Tim just below Hungerford.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks like an excellent museum to visit one day Andrew, thanks for sharing your photos

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andrew
Looks like the stop over at this museum on the way to Tankfest was worth it. Can you go inside the Horsa? It looks like there is a path to the doorway.
Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just had a look through the Flickr album and answered my own question. This museum is definitely worth a visit.
Paul

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Visited the museum a few weeks ago for the first time. It was very quiet which gave plenty of time to view everything properly. I was particularly interested in the Glider Pilot Regiment display as my mum's cousin was a pilot who was involved in Market Garden at Arnhem. Unfortunately he didn't survive and is honoured in the book of remembrance and on the memorial outside. Only slight gripe was that there were no staff around to talk to about the exhibits.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I remember those Hueys - a lifetime away now I'm pleased to say.

Steve

I assume from your forum name and what you say you served in the Parachute Regiment in the Falklands?

Yours

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I have many happy memories of Middle Wallop, my grandparents farm was just down the road.

Most vivid in my mind was seeing Ken Wallis flying " Little Nellie" with full pyro effects & the Bond theme playing through the PA system (in the echoing way only a multi speaker set up in a massive field can sound). '76, I think.

Happy days.

View attachment 434452

Dan

It's a nice part of the world.......as for the picture you posted, have a look at this thread I posted from last year https://www.scale-models.co.uk/thre...collections-at-old-warden-bedfordshire.36226/

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice pics Andrew - I assume the ZSU is a Gulf War trophy (?) I hoped the info plaque would say where they got it......

Nick

Hi Nick

No problem at all.

As for the ZSU, that was my assumption but as you say they don't say.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great set of shots Andrew. When I went I thought it was a good museum, with some things not seen elsewhere. They used to hold a modelling exhibition as well. Did you see the live shell that was plucked out of the air by a first war aircraft observer? Quite a remarkable object I thought…..

Thanks Tim. I was surprised how much it contained given the entrance and as you say some unusual exhibits. Missed the shell. That must be some story. Unfortunately , we only had a couple of hours because Junior had a football match in the morning. If we're passing in the next year, I'll go back in as our tickets are valid for a year. And thanks again for the tip on the roads!!

ATB

Andrew

Nice reminder Andrew.

On holiday based in Salisbury 3 years ago. Last holiday before Covid. Pauline wanted to visit the
house & area she lived in once.

Bombed like hell in Morden London & evacuated to this little village not far from the Wallop place. .

On the way back came across by accident & stopped for lunch at the museum. Watched the new
pilots going through their paces with Helicopters.

Great museum & more than well worth a visit. Great number of interests. Even Pauline was fascinated.

Great holiday. A chalet on the edge of a field of Lavender. Every morning we had a deer who visited us.
Must have been something nice in the chalet garden.

Laurie

Thanks Laurie. As you say it is a great little museum and more just as importantly glad you had a great break.

ATB

Andrew

Hi Andrew
Looks like the stop over at this museum on the way to Tankfest was worth it. Can you go inside the Horsa? It looks like there is a path to the doorway.
Paul
Just had a look through the Flickr album and answered my own question. This museum is definitely worth a visit.
Paul

Paul

It was indeed, a nice little museum. As for the Horsa, you could stick your head in but no more. I did have another picture of it from the year but as the light was a bit low, and I didn't want the flash to white it I out, I turned it off but I obviously moved and so it came out a bit blurry due to the increased exposure time.

ATB

Andrew

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve

I assume from your forum name and what you say you served in the Parachute Regiment in the Falklands?

Yours

Andrew
Falklands yes Andrew ; I'd transferred from Para Reg quite a few years before that though and was near the end of my service by then. The forum name is a nod to my son, and several friends, who are (and were) proud ex-Para and Commando Forces and who continually take the p--- for being close 'to 101' (unquote). Nothing heroic I'm afraid!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Falklands yes Andrew ; I'd transferred from Para Reg quite a few years before that though and was near the end of my service by then. The forum name is a nod to my son, and several friends, who are (and were) proud ex-Para and Commando Forces and who continually take the p--- for being close 'to 101' (unquote). Nothing heroic I'm afraid!
Maybe nothing heroic but you served nonetheless, so thank you. I was only 11 coming up 12 at the time, so whilst I wasn't fully aware of what exactly those serving were embarked upon, I do still remember parts of it very well.

ATB

Andrew

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Maybe nothing heroic but you served nonetheless, so thank you. I was only 11 coming up 12 at the time, so whilst I wasn't fully aware of what exactly those serving were embarked upon, I do still remember parts of it very well.

ATB

Andrew
Thanks are superfluous Andrew, if anybody should be thanked it should be the magistrate who pointed out my options and whose 'wit and wisdom' put me on the path to a very respectable pension! :tears-of-joy::cool: