Andygh's SIG Challenger II

A

andygh

Finally got my backside down to the post office to pick up my Trumpeter Challenger plus the Eduard etch set, I went for this one in the end

Sprue shots etc. to follow (when I've finnished wallpapering the bedroom :emo2:smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good luck with the wallpapering.

I have the Up Armour version also a trumpeter kit. We do seam to have a good spread of kit makes in this build. It will be fun to see how they compare.

Ian M

N

noble

This looks like a nice kit andy i have the same version except in tamiya, trumpeter is supposed to have some nice detail.

scott

A

andygh

Scott, the Tamiya kit's supposed to be a cracker, should be interesting to see the contrast. I'm waiting on a new gun barrel from China now and still haven't decided on the figures yet

Anyway plenty of opportunity for loads of dust on the pair of them :woohoo:

All the extra work on my guntruck and overtime at work is holding up everything else right now, hopefully get started on the Challenger some time next week, it's a good job it's a 6 month build :smile8:

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Scott, the Tamiya kit's supposed to be a cracker, should be interesting to see the contrast. I'm waiting on a new gun barrel from China now and still.........
Do you have a link to that barrel? be interested to see that.

Ian M

A

andygh

It's this one Ian

1/35 Challenger 2 barrel [LM20000] - $11.80 : LionMarc, LionMarc

I got mine via ebay

A

andygh

Here are the sprue shots. I hope to start glueing bits together soon

The quality of the moulding looks very good and it seems like I've got lucky with the tracks, mine seem to be almost perfect

There are decals for 4 different tanks but it doesn't specify in the instructions what any of them are, plus there's no colour sheet with this one either but I suppose it's not really necessary for an all over sand colour scheme. There's no PE included but in fairness there's lots of plastic for 17 quid

And here's the extra bits, Eduard PE and Lionmarc barrel

N

noble

Looks good andy look forward to following the progress.

scott

A

andygh

Here's a few pics showing the acres of etched brass (well it felt like acres to me) before primer is applied

I've really enjoyed this build so far, it's given me a definite taste to do more modern stuff in the future

Anyhow, this is what it looks like following the last 2 weeks of superglueing tiny pieces of metal to my fingers

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good stuff Andy. Looks like you got the better of all the PE.

How many times do you think you will snap/bend those antenna while painting it???

A nice clean build. Now lets see a nice dirty paint job! :smiling:

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Now thats is looking great Andy, that photo etch is the same as i've just ordered too. At lease i now know what it'll look like.

Have fun, John

PS, my computer has stopped online long enough to post :badcomputer1:

B

backonthecase

Ooh now that is purrty. How well does the kit go together? I'm interested as I have a distinct lack of modern armour in my collection....

Stuart

A

andygh

How many times do you think you will snap/bend those antenna while painting it???
They're carbon fibre so it shouldn't happen in theory, there again my powers of clumsiness are beyond all imagining :oops:

How well does the kit go together?
A bit of a mixed bag, most of it went together perfectly but some, especially around the turret was fairly gappy, very enjoyable though as I said

A

andygh

Finished at last

An enjoyable build this one and it's opened my eyes to modern armour too

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there Andy ... very nice looking indeed ... i must admit I am amazed at the ability of folk here to build the kit first and then paint and weather (invariably with huge amounts of skill!!). I am much more conservative and spend ages painting the pieces first and then building. Am looking forward to see'ing this one and it's camo job. Rgds Lindsey

now I went to the last post and indeed saw the finished job ..... top class mate ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Andy!

Love the weathering and a great result all round!

Ian M