andygh's USMC Ontos

A

andygh

I'm building the Academy USMC M50A1 Ontos for this one (supplied with perfect timing by John). I've added the Verlinden resin interior so I can have the hatches open (maybe) and the ET Models etch set

I may do a bit of a jungle type mini dio for this and possibly add another vehicle, not sure yet but I'll make it up as I go along as usual

Here's the box/sprue shots etc.

A

andygh

Photos of progress so far

Trying the resin set for size

Main components cut & sanded to size then fixed with superglue

All painted inside

Some washes & pigments added for weathering

Inside just about done, closing the body up, now for the etch

A

andygh

The resin is very nicely detailed & fits fairly well, the instructions are typical Verlinden though, a few over-exposed blurry photos. I've probably spent more time searching for reference pictures than building the model so far

Still, on with the build

Spot the massive mistake

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Andy is the cuppola back to front ? anyway looking good so far ,but it also reminds me of a space craft type loona craft thingy

A

andygh

No that's not it, the fenders are a**e about f***e, doh I really should have learned to read the instructions by now:ohno:

Anyhow, I thought there'd be a few more having a go at this SIG, what with all the votes it got:music_whistling:

A

andygh

That's it, all the etched stuff is done, just need to sort out the inside-out rivets caused by me fitting the fenders the wrong way round and it'll be ready for some primer

Some interesting masking to do too:cheesygrin:

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
No that's not it, the fenders are a**e about f***e, doh I really should have learned to read the instructions by now:ohno:Anyhow, I thought there'd be a few more having a go at this SIG, what with all the votes it got:music_whistling:
All ways the same Andy, loads if interest up to the day then about half the amount of participants.... Still early days yet. I will be joining in, I just don't have a clue as to what to build.

That is a lot of brass on that little launcher thingie. Very clean build as well. It should look great with a splosh of paint and a bucket of dust thrown over it.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been very quite in this build....

Ian M

D

dubster72

A very interesting build this! I had to look up what it was coz it's almost something out of a sci-fi film!

Come on Andy, get some paint on it!

Cheers

Patrick

First Name
Drew
That's a really weird looking thing! Doesn't look like something from the Vietnam era at all.

I'm watching this one, mainly because I did a lot of reading up on the Vietnam War years ago (one of my big interests) but I'd never heard of this thing before.

Can't wait to see what it looks like "coloured in."

A

andygh

Sorry, I forgot I hadn't posted anything on progress for a while, I get too wrapped up in it I guess

This is how the "Thing" is looking now plus some pics of the Mutt that's going into the same dio and some tree construction

The whole thing should be finished within the next few days, just some tidying up to do then I'll be ready for the WWI GB, really looking forward to that one

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Erm WOW! is all I can think of saying.

Did you know by the way that Ontos is Greek for "thing"....

Ian M

A

andygh

\ said:
Did you know by the way that Ontos is Greek for "thing"....
Cheers Ian, yes it's a very appropriate name for the ugly little bu##er isn't it? :cheesygrin:

M

mobear

i`m drooling, wow and double wow and did i mention WOW.thank you for those pics,i`m stuck on my rigging for the camel,took me 15 mins to untie myself lol.you have all the weathering and stuff spot on in my opinion

mobear

D

dubster72

That's first class Andy. The shading & chipping is just perfect, you've really brought out the detail in the kit. Though 6 ( count 'em! ) 106mm recoiless rifles?? Who thought that one up I wonder? It's more akin to something from ' Hobo's Funnies ' than the US Army!

The trees look ace too.

Cheers

Patrick