andygh's Whippet dio

A

andygh

Sprue shots will be sorted tomorrow after night shift :thumbs-up:

I've been looking forward to this GB, only got a vague idea of what I'm doing with the dio so far, I fancy an urban one this time maybe :thinking:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was looking at the whippet the other day but they where sold out....

Remember Andy, a diorama is not a must just an 'if you want to' A simple base works out nice as well. And is cheaper and don't take up so much room....

Ian M

A

andygh

Yup, I know, I just enjoy doing dios Ian, they're only little'uns and they don't cost that much, honest:cheesygrin:

Here's the pre-build pics

Literally just 2 pages of building instructions

and 1 for the painting/decalling

3 sprues of plastic

Horrible rubber tracks are going straight into the spares box

Some replacement resin tracks by Accurate Armour and a small etched brass sprue from Hannants

Hmm, should be a quickie build this one, I'll have to think of a way to make it last 3 months :lol

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy

Looks a cracking kit and I know from your past dioramas that this will be special.

All the best

Paul

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks nice. Plenty of scope for mud and rust - yeah like I know my armour !!

A

andygh

Some photos of progress so far on the whippet and the Model T Ford MMGS mentioned elsewhere

On the Whippet the resin tracks were fairly easy to fit although I had to add spacers between the frames so there is a suitable gap all round between the tracks and the side frames, just a little more detailing to do on the Whippet now, mainly the kit boxes

I've not decided whether to include the Model T in the finished model yet, I want to see what it looks like with paint on it. There's a little more work to do, I need to find out what the Water cooler for the Maxim looked like and I have to work out how to mount the headlamps as the brackets provided in the kit are beyond crude and I refuse to use the horrible things

I'm thinking of using one of the Miniart dio bases, I've always fancied having a go at one of these vacformed kits and it'll be nice for someone else to have done the hard work for a change

I've got a couple of WWI figures in mind, I'm not sure if they'll be suitable though, need to do a bit more internet window shopping before I decide

Ford Model T kit

D

dubster72

That Whippet looks really good Andy & the tracks are way better than the rubber-band ones!

I'm not sure the Miniart vac-formed stuff means there's no hard work left ; I've made one of their houses & it was a pain! Looked good though once it was done.

Cheers

Patrick

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy

Looks fabulous so far, the car Is especially nice - what a find! The track links also make a massive difference to the tank. Expecting great things Andy in keeping with your other fabulous models and dios.

All the best

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good both the car and the tank.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I know nothing about armour, but this thing looks so strange, I'm sure it would find itself on Top Gears' cool wall.

R

rogue-one

great kits andy! i love WW1 tanks, the shape, the armour with big rivets, brilliant. and your car too...there's something extra special about kit's from before WW2. hope your build and dio goes well and turns out fantastic

A

andygh

Thanks Bobby

This one might run a bit late, I'm not getting much modelling done at the moment, we were away visiting my Sister in France and had to come back early because my Dad-in-law is in a very, very bad way

As we all know, familly comes first at these times but the models will still be waiting for me when things calm down again

A

andygh

Right, the elements are finished so here's some pics of them but I've decided against the dio and I'll make a simple base due to lack of time (Dad-in-Law's funeral this week)

The figures

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
First of all Andy sorry to hear about the father inlaw . Now onto the build great work the Whippet looks fantastic but the figures steal the show for me just brilliant. The diorama could be built at any time like you said Family come first

Best wishes papa 695 ( Ian )

N

noble

\ said:
Right, the elements are finished so here's some pics of them but I've decided against the dio and I'll make a simple base due to lack of time (Dad-in-Law's funeral this week)

The figures
This is looking amazing, i've made the whippet myself and if you don't mind advice with the decals, those red and white bars are better if you paint them on as they are a pain to get in the correct position.

scott