Andy's 1/35 Tamiya Stug B

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John.

If you think it looks okay that's good enough for me.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thank you John.

I need to start working on the lower half & running gear soon, and have washed the metal track links ready for treatment tomorrow. Lots of firsts for me on this one.

D

Deleted member 7181

Breaking myself in gently to metal tracks I got hold of the Easy Link ones (thanks to Mr T pointing me in the right direction for a set). Having cleaned them off I put them into some AK burnishing fluid, but despite good agitation they came out with quite a few missed spots. I assembled the runs anyway which was very straightforward, apart from them having a tendency to curve away from the extended "winter" section, but that sorted itself out after working them for a while

Here they are looking a bit funky after the first treatment.

GnLsQ45.jpg

Once built up I tried a technique I'd seen used by Martin Kovac on the Night Shift channel, just brushing the fluid on rather than immersing them. That seemed to work well, used much less fluid, and evened up the finish greatly. Several test fits were done to make sure I had the correct length, then I gave them a good going over with various dry pigments

pQxsJZI.jpg

While I had the pigments out I splashed them around on the lower hull. I had to do this a couple of times as I kept getting bald spots where I'd applied pigment fixer. Nothing earth shattering, but I feel like I'm getting better at it each time.

ah5VaOO.jpg

XphNWUu.jpg

LotLsME.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Track sag seems to have worked out ok
(wheels still WIP here)

sgwX3rX.jpg

After some work with weathering pencils the open hatches and commander were added

ydm8gkV.jpg

On the final stretch now so I've started to make a base. It didn't seem "essential" to travel to my wood store in mum's garage so it's cardboard, PVA & paper maché to the rescue.

1XVC1ej.jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Andy, your weathering has improved tremendously. Good dirt build up...with the track extentions some of it might have got splattered onto the side of the skirts, not too much but just enough thrown up.

Cheers,
Richard

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cracking StuG Andy, now when is your next one lol

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
This just in...………….."Scratchy Gets Down And Dirty", film at 11pm!!!!!!!! Nice Andy, really nice!!!

Bleib Gesund
Allen

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the lovely comments all.

Richard - I know the upper hull needs more work as it seems a bit too clean, I'm just a bit stumped as to what so need to think it over. Your suggestion will help, thanks.

Bob - there'll definitely be more I'm sure. After dropping the PE I'm really enjoying this again!

Steven - I'm trying to keep track of the different colours & pigments I've used (lots!). Hopefully if I use the same on the base it'll tie it all together.

Allen - Thanks, and lol :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

I'm hoping dio pictures will be ok in here, since it's part of the GB and all.

Cardboard/ paper base had a mixture of filler, grout, sawdust & sand slopped all over it

GIYlz1D.jpg

Testing the general layout

Xwx3nuz.jpg

And starting to add the greenery

s8Vvzo2.jpg

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
What is the greenery Andy? Looks very good!!

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul.

Chhers Jack, it's a mixture of Woodland Scenics Burnt Grass, some bigger tufts of their olive green bushes, and a sprinkling of used green tea leaves. Bicarb for the snow. Wall is made from the ballast out of crushed up concrete.

I scaled the fence to about 4 foot but it looks massive in the pictures!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Andy,
The StuG looks sweet....loving the look of the winter tracks. I got a couple of sets waiting to go on something, probably a Nashorn :nerd:
Groundwork looks great, I like the woodland scenic stuff too, they have a good range of stuff :thumb2:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
that's looking the DB's Andy well done sir :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Si. I thought the woodlands stuff seemed expensive back when I bought it, but since I'm only using a tiny bit each time the packs will probably last me for years.

Thanks Bob. I'm onto the final flourishes now but that's normally when I get a creative mental block! :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

I'm finally done with this one, completed pictures here

Thanks to those that followed along, and Bob for organising the group build.