Andy's 1/35 Tamiya Stug B

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Haha, it took me longer than that to do this one Paul!

But then it was a fair bit of trial & error, in a place that'll ultimately be hidden by an open hatch anyway. Now that I've settled on a method and worked out the size of drill & punch that I need it should go more quickly.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Those replacement screws look very convincing, so I’d say you’re on to a winner :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Jakko. I might end up burying the detail under layers of paint but at least I'll know I've tried.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
After sticking 990 rivets onto my Bison shield I'm feeling your pain Andy LOL

It will be worth it in the end. At least that was what I kept telling myself LOL

D

Deleted member 7181

Yes Steve, I reached that point in your video and thought "yep, definitely crackers" lol

D

Deleted member 7181

All done.

Bob kindly supplied a picture so I knew I was getting the right look, and as Paul suggested it didn't actually take too long once I got going.

qNYKxlG.jpg

I also tried my hand at a weld bead using styrene. A bit messy, like the apprentice did it, but I'm fairly happy for a first effort. Might try the putty method and see if that suits me any better.

ADQ8oHk.jpg

Still a mountain of etch to add, although I'm not bothering with the hatch hinges now as the kit ones are fairly nice, and I value my sanity! It's at a stage where I could just throw all the sub assemblies together if I wanted, splash some paint about and call it done, but I've started so I'll finish :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
It's a learning curve for sure. You are doing a great job. Love the screw heads.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim and Paul. Bead needs a bit of a clean up underneath (where I started) but definitely a job where I could have done with 3 hands!

I may have to invent a TET applicator than can be used with ones teeth :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

I just showed this picture to Zoe to give her an ideal of scale and she almost fainted so thought I'd add it here. You can just see a left over screw hiding in the milk carton top. I know many of you are used to working at this scale but I sometimes find it hard to figure out just how small the details are that people are manipulating without something to reference to.

Akwzpxn.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work Andy. I would be well pleased with that result. Well done sir!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Even worse is when you start thinking: “This tiny little rivet is overscale, now how do I make a smaller one when I already used the smallest punch in my punch and die set?” :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve & Bob, really appreciate the feedback.

Jakko, I don't even want to think about using the smaller sizes just yet! Maybe I'll get there in the future but this is about as small as I'm ready to deal with right now. Anything smaller and I might as well use a blob of glue :smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That is actually a good way to make small rivets :smiling3: However, getting them of consistent size is usually a bit of a problem.

D

Deleted member 7181

I've made the call to abandon most of the etch work on this. I was finding it far too taxing, physically and mentally, which isn't what this should be all about.

So I've finished most of the construction now, leaving the tools and stuff off until later, and started adding some paint. I'm trying out building it up in different layers, with slightly different shades & intensities, chipping in between. Looks a bit of a mess close up right now but should hopefully come good as I add more layers.

xdddsmU.jpg

IbWQfsY.jpg

Wheels, hatches, tools and various other bits are getting the same treatment

YvyzUi3.jpg

And I've made a start on Tommy Cooper

hE65URq.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve. I'm totally winging it with no idea what I'm doing or if it'll look alright when finished, but I'm back to having fun with this one at least.