Andy's Tamiya 1/48 Sd.Kfz.232 (Ron's recon. G.B.)

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Finally found some time & weather to take the completed shots of this.

Lovely little kit, if a little simplified, that went together very quickly. Basic paintjob was Vallejo Model Air and I tried out various new (to me) weathering effects with oils, AK pencils and Ammo pigments.

It was also my first attempt at a dio, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

As always, thanks for all the support and advice along the way, and sorry there are so many pictures!

Andy.

ZWFEY3p.jpg

4uneO6b.jpg

G7oHj11.jpg

oNLIjrP.jpg

w8JokOK.jpg

HCuX7HU.jpg

il1tRzD.jpg

WVAs7XI.jpg

ggFEj3C.jpg

lyIT01W.jpg

F5jimuF.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
This is stunning work Andy. You would never have thought it was your first go at a dio. The kit and finished look has come out well. I look forward to seeing your future dios. Great stuff

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Well done Andy, for your first diorama this has turned out really well :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for comments and likes chaps.

Really enjoyed working on the base so I'm sure there'll be many more to come.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Andy, very good first attempt at a dio. If you don't mind a tip from me, it is always important for the tires or tracks to have build up of the surface that it is on. For instance the terrain looks wet perhaps from a recent downpour so the mud would collect on the tires and mudguard. To go one step further is to add gloss varnish to the top surfaces and some of it like rain streaks along the side. This ties the kit to the dio.

You have executed the basic composition with 3 tier level well.

I know this is your first time at it and there is lots of room to make it more interesting like the commander could be leaning over the side worried about the precarious slope and narrow path. These are just some ideas. Shep Paine's book on dioramas gives good examples on how to stretch the figures pose to make a point of the story in the dio. Figures can make or break a well done kit so it needs to be done well. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it so looking forward to more dios from you.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thankyou Richard, tips like that will help me to keep improving.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Andy I apologize I thought I'd left a comment. Stunning work all round, that tree is just brilliant and as you say this is our first dio well it's better than my last. Just wait until you get to number ten "WOW" bring it on .
Pete. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Andy. As already said a bit more mud on the tyres and a few wet streaks would have really dotted the i's....
The base is also very good and you should be very pleased. I would be.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Ian.

After the suggestions and taking a good look at the pictures I think I'll go back to this tomorrow and see if I can make improvements.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work. Beautifully executed model & very good work on the base. The hardest part of dios IMHO is marrying the model(s) with the base. This area is where things most often go awry. Period photos help a lot, as their study will assist you with the integration of crapintheback, model weathering, base gardening & structures. I find that I scrimp on structure rubble and garden a little too neatly. After 60+ years of modeling I'm still learning. I'm a bit slow I guess. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul.

I hope I never stop learning too. I know I've said it before but there's such a wealth of experience here that I'm definitely in the right place for it.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I hope I never stop learning too.
If you ever come across a model maker who thinks he knows it all, avoid him, there is no such animal.
We will all carry on learning until our toes point upwards!

This is just great Andy. One cracking little diorama.
Bring on the next.... :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Very well done. You should be proud of this.
Jim