Andy's Tamiya 1/48 SdKfz 232

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
There is a much cheaper option. Once you have the basic structure of the tree or bush you can spray it with dilute PVA through a hand atomiser. This will fix it nicely and make it quite robust for handling. Just add a small drop of washing up liquid to the dilute PVA to break down surface tension and allow it to soak in........

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim, really appreciate that.

Tim - I've been trying to find some of those little atomiser sprays as I've seen them used a lot. Hobby shops have been a no go unless you want to trade in a limb for a Woodland Scenics one, but my wife reckons somewhere like Poundland or Home Bargains might have them.

I initially tried brushing PVA on the branches but that was an epic fail, so hunted around in the shed and found some old carpet spray adhesive. Not ideal but it worked to a degree. I've been using watered down PVA & soap through a dropper as a final fix for my grass, but also tried a trick I saw Kathy Millat use. Watered down alcohol first to break the surface tension (I had meths so used that) then the dilute PVA. Seemed to spread a little better but the extra moisture extended the dying time.

Having fun experimenting :nerd:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi mate
Other sources of the spray bottles are garden centres, pound shops, eBay, and Amazon .....Boots do them for make up application but they are a bit dear....
Yet another option, though a bit big for your application, is household cleaner spray bottles when empty......last resort is putting it through an airbrush.....works fine, just needs a good clean afterwards.....
Looks great by the way.......only hint I could give is to perhaps spray a little light green on the top of the tree where the sunlight hits it, it will bring out the tree texture a little more.....

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks again Tim.

Was considering adding a bit of colour to the tree, good to hear it isn't a crazy idea. The trunk certainly needs a bit of work as it's just one colour and a little shiny, although it's hard to see in the pictures.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent tree Andy. Compo much improved. I use the diluted PVA for all my gardening. I dip the armature (I use dried Sedum) area that will carry the 'leaves' in 50/50 PVA/wet water mix, let it drain upside down for a bit, then dip it in a mix of ground foam of different shades of green & varying sizes, let it dry upside down for a bit, then stick it in a foam block & lightly dust the top w/lighter green flock, then mist it with a 90% 50/50 PVA & 10% alcohol mix from a foot or better like rain. This works for my scale trees up to about a foot tall. Bigger than that prolly needs a different method. Just a thought at first cuppa. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul, another method for me to try out.

I'd wondered about adding alcohol to the dilute PVA as a one step product but wasn't sure how it would react. Good to hear it works.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The two step method (eyedropper alky, then diluted PVA) is better for rocks/rip-rap/ballast/gravel as it eliminates bubbles & improves saturation. PaulE

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That's a wonderful little dio Andy. I am so glad you were able to embrace all the advice you received. It's a real gem. Well done mate

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve, those little touches like the ruts and placing the vehicle better have made all the difference I think. As always I appreciate all the pointers and advice.