Andy's Tamiya 1/48 SdKfz 232

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Great stuff Andy.

There is some footage of this actual vehicle negotiating a steep and narrow street in Athens on one of the World at War episodes. You can clearly see the 'Seydlitz' markings.
Thanks Peter, I'll have a look for that.

Scale inner diameter should be about 0.17 mm :smiling3: That fine, a reasonable trick is to push the end of a needle into the end of the barrel to make a small impression.

I'll flood the hole with paint to narrow it down a bit :smiling5:

0.35 was the smallest I had and gives a decent looking wall thickness, so I'm content with that.

Andy, just take your time.....

Just making the most of the days I have off. Back to the grindstone soon and still have my Whippet to finish so things will slow down considerably now :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Graeme, I now understand why I keep seeing the "shake n bake" reference towards modern Tamiya kits as it just fell together so easily.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
You're making fine progress. As for the figure - use him :smiling2: Figures always add a sense of scale and bring a build to life. Don't fret if he is not painted to Peter Day's standard just go for it.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Jim.

I've got him painted actually. The call out was all black uniform so didn't think it would be too hard lol

I had no acrylic flesh colours so mixed a few shades from model air beige and light rust.

I've tried to break things up with a grey wash and some dry brushing and to be fair I'm quite pleased for my first real attempt. Nowhere near the standards of others, and he's a bit crossed eyed, but he'll do.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good for you Andy.
Nice photos and work to boot.
Headless figures are best for painting, but not from a viewing point:flushed:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John. Headless is a good idea, or maybe I'll drape some heavy camo netting over the area to disguise him a bit. :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

It's been a couple of weeks so I pulled this one back to the bench for some paint. I'm having another go with Vallejo and was pleasantly surprised at how well it sprayed after switching to the 0.4mm nozzle set.

I've had a go at modulating the colour but as always for me it seems too subtle. I'll get there with practice I'm sure :smiling3:

tCxtaj3.jpg

PttLYa2.jpg

ezurVVv.jpg

Really need to do something with the tyres though. The MrC tyre black is so similar to model air RLM66 that there's no contrast, even under my dodgy lighting.

9qUF44Y.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Modulation is noticeable so I would say it's worked well. I use Vallejo Model Colour Dark Rubber for my tyres which gives a nice look compared to Black. Nice work all round with the wet stuff

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve, I'm yet to find a colour I like for tyres and usually end up mixing something, so will give that a try.

My only issue now with using Vallejo is waiting for it to dry before I can go any further. I'm used to doing everything really quickly, ask my poor, frustrated wife! :smiling5:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A scale black for tread wear, some local soil color wash for cleats, a little pencil lead around rim, nuts/bolts, and dark rust on the brake drum behind the rim visible through the wheel openings should break up the gray. Just a thought during first cuppa. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the suggestions. For previous models I've mixed MrC tyre black with semi-gloss black to get something I like, but a single pot would make life much easier.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have another approach for tyre colour worth a trial....
I’ve used a drybrush and wash over dark grey for ages. Block in dark grey. Mix the dark grey with about ten percent flesh colour for a nice warm grey drybrush highlight....if you need more definition then wash with dilute black to redefine the texture...