Andy's Tamiya 1/48 SdKfz 232

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Not a problem, on YT there are videos (not those lol) by hornet hobbies which cover pigments in a very good presentation.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy,
That is a great looking build. For fixing the pigments I use Tamyia thinners and use a long thin brush to wick it in to the powder.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul. I was a bit taken aback when I saw how dark they went when wet with thinner, but thankfully they dried out fine.

Bob, I haven't managed to find their pigment video yet but found loads of other really useful ones. Rather than rushing through like most of the build videos I watch they carry out the process in real time, giving me a much better idea of what's going on. Thanks for the heads up :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Pretty happy with how the model looks now so started on a little background for it.

Work in progress. Will probably add more greenery in the foreground and something extra for a bit of height (tree or signpost) but this is my first attempt at this kind of thing so don't be too brutal :smiling5:

3xw8sbX.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
That's none to shabby. If I could make a couple of points for next time and they are minor points. Using a wheel or something similar roll the tyre marks into the dirt when it is nearly dry to show the weight of the vehicle in the dirt. And purists would say and I'm not sure I agree that the vehicle should stay within the borders of the base. Hope these don't sound piccy because that is a good looking base.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
All going in the right direction Andy.
Thoughts on, well as you are planning to add possibly some hight, with either a tree or sign, prefer a tree my self because it's a natural thing, that will change the visual straight away.
Think Paul is quite right about about the placement of the vehicle, but again that's just my view.
Base wise the ground works is great, bank behind the vehicle and grass giving hight, what's not to like .

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps, and thanks for the suggestions.

As I say, it's a WIP and the vehicle is just plonked randomly for now. I've bought some texture gel to hopefully mix with the cheap acrylics and create some muddy ruts for it to sit in, so I'll make sure they lead up to it as you say Paul.

I've also collected and cleaned a few small stones from the garden that I'm planning to add to the foreground, giving a more rocky grassed area. Hopefully that will add a bit of variety to the scene too. Would have preferred to make the rock face less obviously polystyrene too, but that'll be something for the future.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andy
Compositionally it would look better (at least to me) if the vehicle was placed on the left driving “into” the scene rather than on the right “leaving” It....analogous to a portrait picture where the person is looking into the frame rather than out of it....mind you, these beasts drive both ways, so if you reverse the commander to look the other way you will get the same effect :nerd:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tim, I can see the sense in that. Having tried it in a few positions I'd agree with you as well, although I've probably made the base just a little too small to have it much more than central.

Live and learn :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

11 minutes of Luke Towan on Youtube and I made a thing. Thanks to JR for mentioning his name a while back, some very useful videos!

Twisted wire, acrylics & structure gel for the trunk, spray glue and some woodland scenics "bushes" and coarse grass for the leaves.

bZkWbVg.jpg

QARcEmh.jpg

PVA still drying in the foreground so it looks a bit light.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps, very happy with it myself if I'm honest.

Need to get some better spray glue for future efforts as the carpet adhesive I had lying around was a bit like silly string, leaving a lot of clean up, but it did the job.

A bit of touching up here and there and I'll be calling it done.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Si & Peter.

Tempted to keep fiddling but might just muck it up. Will take a fresh look in the morning and go from there.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks chaps, very happy with it myself if I'm honest.

Need to get some better spray glue for future efforts as the carpet adhesive I had lying around was a bit like silly string, leaving a lot of clean up, but it did the job.

A bit of touching up here and there and I'll be calling it done.
Andy by far the best spray glue for trees I've come across is 3 M Craft mount.
It has a use by date on the tin, but I've not had a problem with it when it's outside it's date. Normal thing of turning upside down to clean out when finished.
Spays beautifully, no stringing.
Some people use hair spray, but the problem is it never quite dries. Speaking here from experience !

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Body shop legend has it that 3M stands for Much More Money :smiling5: but to be honest, I find most of their products perform so well that they are worth the premium.

Reactions: JR