Andy's Tamiya 1/48 SdKfz 232

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Finally up on my feet past few days so I've managed a couple of brief visits to the shed.

A little detail painting, a matt coat to seal in the decals, and a dry fit of the wheels, turret & antenna.

IMtWYN3.jpg

8kvEmtM.jpg

Pretty much ready for weathering now. I've taken the plunge and ordered a couple of pigments to try. Along with the pencils I should be able to dirty this up nicely and inject a bit more life into it.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy , just caught up with why you've been unwell, bit of a bummer, glad to see you are recovering. Matron was coming to cheer you up she's a extra long pointed needle on her syringe and was looking for some under the weather.

Looking at your work I can see another Steve Jones in the making ! Well done .

D

Deleted member 7181

Many thanks everyone, it's good to be feeling more like myself again. As someone that is very rarely ill it was a bit of shock!

And it's good to hear you're liking how the build is getting on too. I still can't get the lighting right to show the shading effects properly, but I know they are there :smiling5:

John - I think Matron was there in spirit. Due to low mobility I was having nightly anti-clotting injections. One particular nurse seemed to think she needed a run up for these and plunged it in like an EpiPen! :flushed:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Looking good Andy, glad you're on the mend too. We had a nurse at my old medical centre who hated men, I got two fist size bruises on my thighs when she gave me some injections. Give me matron any day

D

Deleted member 7181

Ouch Mick!

I had cannulae in both arms and the bruising from those has gone already, but the ones in my tummy from these little injections are still pretty ripe.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Arh well most likely trained by Matron as the school of advanced needle hurling Andy. I hear talk of it being in the next Olympics.
Not nice to suffer when you are already feeling crap.

D

Deleted member 7181

Little bit of work with oils & pencils to start adding a bit of character (I hope). Tried a bit of speckling too but need a bit more practice with that. Seem to be getting random big blobs rather than fine areas of splatter.

Hopefully pigments will arrive tomorrow and I can have a go with those. I didn't order any specific fixer for them, is there something I'm likely to have lying around that will do the job?

yEQVlHM.jpg

VMrvn49.jpg

lCxBEsS.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I fix pigment with thinners, oils and varnish so hopefully you have some of that hanging around Andy. The model is looking realy good

Splatter marks take some practice but you are certainly heading in the right direction. Its a lot easier with oils than it is with acrylics. Vary the consistency from very watered down to nearly neat and you will see the difference in patterns and textures. If using oils and you are not happy with a blob or two then just thin them down or remove them completely with thinner. Good luck with the pigments. Dont forget splatter marks with pigments is a great effect also. Lots to keep you out of trouble for a while mate. Good luck

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for that Steve. The pigments arrived today and the bottle helpfully says mineral spirits can be used so tried it fairly successfully on a mule.

And yes, I was trying to splatter with acrylics yesterday but had much more success with oils today. Actually oilbrushers thinned a little. I left the splater for a few moments then blended it a bit with a soft dry make-up brush. Will take some practice but doesn't everything? :smiling3:

Will have a go with pigments too, sounds like fun!

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Pete. I'm sure I saw that mentioned somewhere a while ago, but when researching over the last few days I couldn't remember where. Will take a look.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Bob.

One of my reasons for picking this subject was to get some weathering practice for the up-coming Stug build!

• Wow
Reactions: JR