Another glue question...

1275GT

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find a thread relating to this.

I'm trying to modify some of the vinyl (? ) figures from the Airfix RAF Personnel set for use as crew in my Lanc build, which involves some cutting and shutting.

Can anyone recommend a suitable adhesive to help me put the poor dismembered blighters back together???

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Neil

L

Laurie

Neil do you really mean vinyl figures. Plastic and resin are usual.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Vinyl or polythene is correct for these Airfix figures Laurie. Revell do plastic figures if you wanted an alternative.

Neil, check this out http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ShowFeature.aspx?id=44

Many discussions around about Airfix's persistence in moulding their figures out of soft, chemically inert material. It's 2015, not 1960.

L

Laurie

That is interesting info.

On Superglue I have tried numerous types and amazingly they all differ. Loctite I have found the best so did Which although they only tested about 6 some I have not heard of.

B & Q do their range. I would consider for your job their Power Flex which is a gel. Unless your joins are perfectly flat. The gel just takes up a bit of unevenness.. Found it is a good idea to use a conditioner before applying the SG as it provides a more secure joint.

Laurie

1275GT

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. I tried some regular Locktite superglue, with no luck.

Forgive my ignorance, Laurie, but what do you mean by conditioner???

L

Laurie

Hi Neil. Various names are used. The one I have is Powerdrop Conditioning Pen. Primer activator.

Has a felt applicator which you rub oer the area to be glued. Wait for it to evaporate then apply glue. It helps to send the glue off and make a sound joint.

Also have an accelerator which is a liquid. Apply after the joint is made and the superglue will cure immediately. Does tend to leave a white mark so best to test first.

Laurie

1275GT

Ah, I understand. Thanks for the info, Laurie, appreciate it :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil