Another one gone

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Antics in Coventry have now closed.:sad:
A few months ago I had a choice of Joto Hobbies in Rugby, Antics Coventry, or Trinders in Banbury, but all now closed. I know John at Scale Model Shop has prices as good, or more often better, but sometimes it's nice to actually see stuff before you buy.

Pete

A

Awins

It is sad Peter that so many model shops have now closed. I guess we are all guilty to some degree. Many of us prefer the convenience of the internet, but you simply can't beat a visit to a model shop.
I'm very lucky as I have a fantastic model shop close to me called Mike's Models (Kingstanding in Birmingham). It is a tradition shop with thousands of items crammed into every nook and cranny.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've thought about going there for a day out Alan, but I daren't!

Pete

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
My last one went 4 year's ago so all I have left is a small toy shop with a small selection of kits for anything else it's a 45 mile drive other than that it's the internet but nothing beats handling the goods that you are going to buy.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Pete, It is happening everywhere. Several shops in the greater San Francisco Bay Area closed prior to my moving to Montana. The 2 shops near me after I moved have since closed the last one just last year. I'm now stuck with only the internet. I actually hate online shopping.
Rick H.

Reactions: JR

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Very sad when another model shop closes. My local one seems to be bucking the trend having survided for 50 years, although it has diversified into Lego. Hopefully the two sides to the shop will keep it viable.

Buying from the internet gives a far wider choice, but there is nothing like visiting a shop to see what they have in stock and what catches your eye.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The last real model shop in my area closed about 25 years ago. Another, much smaller one opened maybe 20 years back, but closed again perhaps five years later, and its owner had really only opened it because he felt there might be money in it rather than because he had an interest in models himself. Yet another started some years later again, and closed about two years back, but it was mainly a railway store with assorted other models as well.

The closest one now is about an hour’s travel away (for me — about half that if I had a car, not to mention a licence to drive it :smiling3:) and that’s more an all-purpose crative hobbies shop that has recently got rid of nearly all its model kits except Revell ones, probably in an effort to stay afloat. Then there’s a second similar but smaller shop about 200 metres from that one, and a toy store that also sells some models.

It’d be nice to have the situation of 25 years ago back, but ordering online is really the only viable option for me, outside the occasional trip to these shops and buying things that interest me that they happen to have in stock.

S

Stevekir

The Hereford Model Centre seems to be thriving, with a big range both of makers and of the various branches of the modelling hobby. It is huge and you can get lost wandering in it (at least for a few seconds!).

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Just found out another one I my area has disappeared although not a true model shop more of a toy shop with a model department but still handy.
So that takes my choice down to two within an 80 mile radius.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The 'local' model shops around here have all closed. It was a very nice surprise to find one when i was visiting Lincoln (on Steep Hill) with my family. I'm not sure who was more excited. My kids or me...... (defo me). Had to buy some paints when there as they cost a bunch to get posted up to the north of Scotland. Took my wife an age to get me out of the shop. Will definitely be visiting it again when we go back down.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The nearest LHS for me is a 20 minute drive on a good day and 45minutes when the traffic is near enough to the Bangkok jam during rush hour. Nearly every Saturday I'll gather with other modelers at this particular LHS and have a stress free build from 12pm to midnight. Obviously the chatter overwhelms the build and sometimes we get to give our list for the next batch of orders...which we save on postage and delivery cost.

We've been lucky so far as new shops have sprung up, each catering to particular genres and still stocking a bit of everything else.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR
First Name
Noel
Is the one in Wellingborough Road, Northampton still going? There is also a nice one in Rushden Northants within 2 mins walk from Asda's big store. It is named Osbornes. 2/3 of it is a toyshop but the model shop side is a little gem! in Dunstable I think that West Street Models are still going as far as I know. Goldings hardware shop in Bedford High Street sells models at the back of shop Mainly Airfix.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Is the one in Wellingborough Road, Northampton still going?
The imaginatively-named "The Model Shop"? It was still there a few weeks ago. Great place, good stock of kits at good prices.
Thanks for the others, I'll check them out!

Pete

First Name
Noel
I have thought of 2 more. In Stevenage Old Town there is a back alley with shops behind others off the main high street where there is a shop that is primarily model railways but has lots of other useful stuff as well. As far as I know they have limited opening times of Thursday, Friday and Saturday only. There is another one in Letchworth who are aimed mainly at the flying model fraternity located on a corner opposite a park where there is a paddling pool. In Stotfold Beds there is a company named Mainly Models who do Mail Order from a small industrial unit.