Antena YZR500 1/12 Tamiya

T

treyzx10r

Well back to the Bikes again,building this for a X-mas present so not much time left. Basic oob build with a few pe goodies sprinkled in.Here the basic parts and a few dry fitted components

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well knowing what you can get out of those Tamiya bikes, some one is in for a beaut of a x-mas pressy!

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely metallic finishes again around the engine and framework. Absolutely superb looking model already.

S

Sgt Apome

Can almost smell the Rock oil from here!. I'm sure this was jap rider Abe's 2 stroke?

T

treyzx10r

thanks Ian,Andy & Rich appreciate your kind words and yes Sarge thats Abe's old ride. I moved on to the tires while the paint was drying on some sub assemlies.

here they are untouched

then sanded with 80grit

next to simulate heat blueing I inked them with these sharpie pens

after applying

then I blended the ink and 'toned' it down with a soft cloth

J

JFJ

These are as good as your planes Trey. Nice metallic finishes. Superb looking bike

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's a great trick with the tyres there! If ever I get up the gumption to try a bike, I will have to remember that one.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Adrian,glad you liked the tire trick Ian and you should pull the trigger on a bike build! I got some more forward progress tonight.Used the compass cutter to mask off the carbon brake discs and attached the swingarm. I just might pull this off before the fat man slides down the smoke chute ;)

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Trey

Your definitely the man when it comes to bike builds - superb!

The recipient of this Xmas gift has got to be well chuffed!!!

All the best

Paul

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Andy,Thanks Paul. I 'm thinking the gift will be well recieved, he was a huge Norick fan and was crushed when he was tragically killed in a street riding crash.

F

Fenlander

Stunning work Trey. can I ask what you used to paint the main engine block? It really does look good.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Trey, I was in my early teens when the first Japanese bike arrived in the U.K. It was the Honda Benley.

I told my dad I was going to save up and buy one.

"Not bloody likely, you'll kill yourself, forget it!"

"Yes dad."

Judging by my behavior when I aquired my first car from a scrap yard, he was probably right!

Since then I have had little interest in bikes, nor the desire to have a go at building a kit of one. But, following this superb build, watching it grow and the tricks with the various finishes and effects you so cleverly employ, I can feel my resistance crumbling with great rapidity!

Great stuff.

Ron

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
Stunning work Trey. can I ask what you used to paint the main engine block? It really does look good.
thanks Graham , I used semi-gloss black followed by a light dusting of model master aluminum plate buffing metalizer,then I gave it a wash with promodeller black(thanks again for that tip) and finally a spray of dullcoat

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
Trey, I was in my early teens when the first Japanese bike arrived in the U.K. It was the Honda Benley.I told my dad I was going to save up and buy one.

"Not bloody likely, you'll kill yourself, forget it!"

"Yes dad."

Judging by my behavior when I aquired my first car from a scrap yard, he was probably right!

Since then I have had little interest in bikes, nor the desire to have a go at building a kit of one. But, following this superb build, watching it grow and the tricks with the various finishes and effects you so cleverly employ, I can feel my resistance crumbling with great rapidity!

Great stuff.

Ron
Thanks Ron ,I too was hooked by the Jap bike invasion but it was a Z1R that got me. I think our Dads were on to something! I got the 'you can have a f*%#$ motorcycle when you move out 'speech(I did both promptly) I hope you jump on a bike build far too few being built here!