Any recommendations for a decent filler .

First Name
Noel
John I had my PPP for a couple of years and it does go off and get a bit hard below the nozzle screw cap. I use a small screwdriver to get the hardened bit out and then found it useable again. Feel the tube itself. If it is pliable then it is possibly the same as I encountered.
Have not used Vallejo, and sounds as though you recommend iit. I guess it stays soft in the tube? Does it go on and smooth down better than Perfect Plastic Putty generally?

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
With my PPP the whole lot went solid, despite not drying out, leading me to think it was an age reaction of some sort Noel. If you are able to replace it as required, then I would say go for it. PPP is probably the best acrylic putty I’ve used.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John I had my PPP for a couple of years and it does go off and get a bit hard below the nozzle screw cap. I use a small screwdriver to get the hardened bit out and then found it useable again. Feel the tube itself. If it is pliable then it is possibly the same as I encountered.
Have not used Vallejo, and sounds as though you recommend iit. I guess it stays soft in the tube? Does it go on and smooth down better than Perfect Plastic Putty generally?
Noel, this morning I did exactly as you mentioned, pushed through that hard top section and cleaned the thin nozzle, all working well now :thumb2: So thanks for that

Used both types to day , both east to use , wipe with a damp finger. Between the two I found the Vallejo to be thinner.

Out of the two have to agree with Tim , esp when sanding the PPP is easier.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Glad to hear that your PPP is useable and OK John.
Thanks Noel, I'd just left it lying there , so was grateful for the suggestion. I tried mixing it with a drop of grey primer, then using a cheap brush blended it in . Not entirely sure if it's ok , some more experiments with the amount of paint / filler needed .

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just re-read this thread and realised no-one, me included, had mentioned the magical combination of milliput and isopropanol (IPA).

If you make a well in a small piece of milliput and fill it with IPA, the milliput will slowly dissolve into a wonderfully compliant thin filler, with consistencies from a thin wash to a meaty gloop, and everything in between, depending where you take from in your little well.

The IPA can also be applied to neat milliput on the model to smooth its surface and even dissolve and remove unwanted excess.

The only downside is the need to make up the two part putty in the first place, and the wastage. Apart from that, it's fantastic.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Oh, and get some of those rubber-tipped sculpting tools - perfect for manipulating filler once it's (nearly) in place. They're called Colour Shapers, by Royal Sovereign.