Any suggestions please on this bloke's face?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As my Machine Gunner has been resurrected and when I did this there wasn't a critiques corner, I would like some pointer and / or suggestions as to how his face can be improved....Bit of stubble perhaps?

This is my only attempt at faces so any guidence would be appreciated. We can work together and I can post the final result based on your suggestions....

I intend to alter the uniform a bit, it's just the face I need help with.

Thanks,

Ron

View attachment 103038

odds and sods 697.jpg

L

Laurie

Fag in the mouth Ron. Might make him look a bit happier. :eek:

Laurie

L

Lady Phoenix

Im afraid that Im talking from a warhammer perspective, but Ive learnnt to do 6 stages when painting shades

1 - Prime - Obvioulsy already done

2 - Base coat, for example Citidel Cadian Fleshtone (again, already done)

3 - Wash with ink, example, Citidels Reikland Fleshtone

4 - Layer, example, Kislev Fleshtone. You are aiming to paint most of the face, but leaving the deep recesses

5 - Second Layer - Cant think of a colur. Here you are aiming to paint less than the previous layer just picking out the main details

6 - Dry Brush - Use an even lighter colour to really pick up the outermost details, tip of nose. Tip of chin eyelids etc etc

Put too little on the brush rather than too much, you can always go back an apply another coat.

Im sure others can suggest alternative paints

There is another method that some people use and thats rather than Dry Brush people will physically paint the outermost raised edges.

However, that being said, whats wrong with the picture you have published? Its actually very good. The shading is subtle. If I was forced in a corner and threatened at gun point to find fault I would say its the eyes you need help with more than the face and if anything your paint may be a touch too thick

L

Laurie

Yes I agree with Penny. When I looked at it I thought that looked just right. Wear torn fellow tired dirty with a real look of misery.

A soldier looking or not for the next bit of fear. But still a determination and resignation. Yes I would not do very much Ron as you will loose that character as it is. For me I would leave the eyes as I fear that, unless utterly subtle, you will loose all of what you have achieved so far.

Still think a fag will look good. Always gives that this will keep me going look. Like my mother in law now in heaven but smoking still. If she was using two hands for, probably cooking, she would have fag in mouth and take a drag and all the smoke as she exhaled would go up into her eyes. Unbelievable.

Laurie

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I think the face itself looks pretty good. I think one area that might help is a bit more shading where the scarf meets the face. At the moment because it is a similar colour/tone they tend to run into one another.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your replies folks. I'll leave it run for a few more days, then I will act on the excellent advice and fag idea.

Cheers,

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It looks pretty good to me. Maybe a few more shadows and highlights might lift it a bit.

Maybe a bit of dirt,

S

scorched_earth_policy

Did you do any more work on the gunner, Ron?