ANYONE GOT A MATCH? 1/35 diorama

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Not strictly armour but I couldn't find a catagory for this.

I promised myself I wouldn't post this, my latest effort until me and the present Mrs. Ron received some Christmas cards.....We did today, so here goes.

I have tried to make the dio. in a 'Wish I was home' sort of theme, with the soldiers trying to keep warm around the oil drum and thinking about loved ones at Christmas time.

As can be seen, the boys have made a snowman as their contribution to the festive season. All a bit sad really, I hope I have captured a bit of the atmosphere.

I know it is a bit early, but may I take this opportunity to wish all my new found friends on this forum all the very best for Christmas and 2010. This last few months here have been some of the best times I've had for a fair while....Thank you one and all.

:preparingfood::beer2: Ron

View attachment 20489

View attachment 20490

View attachment 20491

View attachment 20492

View attachment 20493

View attachment 20494

View attachment 20495

View attachment 20496

View attachment 20497

View attachment 20498

View attachment 20499

match please 002.jpg

match please 004.jpg

match please 006.jpg

match please 011.jpg

match please 013.jpg

match please 021.jpg

match please 027.jpg

match please 015.jpg

match please 026.jpg

match please 016.jpg

match please 018.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Richy C

That looks the nuts Spanner , and a merry christmas to you as well mate.

Nice one

Richy.

:newyear:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
That i do like Ron, love the snowman too. Really doe's have a Christmas in the Ardennes atmosphere. Missing home and loved ones.

Something to keep you warm.

Marry Christmas to Ron and all, John

D

dubster72

As ever, I'm so impressed by your work Ron. It really captures that sense of the pointless nature of war & how, to the common soldier, their existance was reduced to the bare essentials like warmth-but still able to want better things, hence the snowman, like a reminder of happier Christmasses with family & friends in peace. The level of detail is great, something I want to emulate. Even though I can't see a bucket anywhere (gasp!) I'd give 5 stars for this if I knew how to! Happy Christmas to you & Mrs Ron & to the rest of the guys on here. Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
As ever, I'm so impressed by your work Ron. It really captures that sense of the pointless nature of war & how, to the common soldier, their existance was reduced to the bare essentials like warmth-but still able to want better things, hence the snowman, like a reminder of happier Christmasses with family & friends in peace. The level of detail is great, something I want to emulate. Even though I can't see a bucket anywhere (gasp!) I'd give 5 stars for this if I knew how to! Happy Christmas to you & Mrs Ron & to the rest of the guys on here. Patrick
As if I would forget the bucket!!!! LOL

It's on about half of the pictures, not very distinct but it is there, honest....

Thank you too for the projected 5*, quite unjustified but much appreciated.

Happy Christmas to you and yours too Patrick.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for that John, good old polyfilla!!

Thanks too for that luuurvly fireside pickie....I see it even has the 'Scale Model' bucket on the fireplace.

Please tell me it contains upended bottles of mulled wine and NOT logs!

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
That looks the nuts Spanner , and a merry christmas to you as well mate.Nice one

Richy.

:newyear:
Thanks for the compliments Richy.

Have a good one yourself!

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hope you don't mind Ron, i've been playing with one of your photos mate. Made it look like there's heat from the fire and used photobucket to make it look like an old war time picture. I've given you 5 stars mate because i'm going to come back and look at this, i just love the scene that much.

One last thing, the bucket is near the logs. Do I get the coconut? lol

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
WO HEY! Five stars, cheers John.

No problem, it humbles me that you think my effort is worthy of your attention.

It looks really effective and kinda finishes it off. Thank you for going to the trouble of producing and posting it.

You certainly do get the coconut, my son.....Sorry Patrick, wooden spoon this time. LOL!

Ron

P.S. Did you notice the snow man has moved from on top of the mound to bottom left on this and some of the other pictures? I guess he wanted to be nearer the fire!!:chillin:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

lol I've so many wooden spoons that I could open a shop! i'll be looking harder next time! But would a snowman feel the cold? Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
lol I've so many wooden spoons that I could open a shop! i'll be looking harder next time! But would a snowman feel the cold? Patrick
Actually it's the first yeti ever spotted in the forests of the Ardenne....The soldiers found him very friendly so they put a fatigue cap on him.

Quick thinking from 'spanner' eh!

D

dubster72

Ah those little-known Ardenne yeti? Those pesky boys get everywhere but I haven't caught up with the 'bucket in every dio' thing yet, so don't start a trend using yetis! Wouldn't look right in war-torn Berlin anyway! hint-hint! Patrick

P

Paul1978

Alright Ron! yet again, damn fine work! I'm really like some dioramas without armour but instead with a group of soldiers, or a small field gun for example being the centre of attention.

I do like this craze with buckets and seemingly now Yetis :smiling3: I can't imagine what's next - pink tanks or SS figures holding flowers :smiling3:

Well done mate

Paul :smiling3:

N

noble

A lovely sombre mood in the setting ron and five stars from me also, and may i say from my wife and i a very merry christmas to you and yours mate. Iam getting an Italeri 1/35 Elco pt boat from santa so mine will be down right jolly lol.However beautiful work as always Ron keep em coming.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
A lovely sombre mood in the setting ron and five stars from me also, and may i say from my wife and i a very merry christmas to you and yours mate. Iam getting an Italeri 1/35 Elco pt boat from santa so mine will be down right jolly lol.However beautiful work as always Ron keep em coming.scott
Thank you for the compliment Scott, much appreciated.

Who's been a good boy this year then?! I look forward to seeing the PT boat on here soon. I built PT 109 ( JFK's boat) in 1/72 many moons ago. It sits on a shelf in my den to this day and in one piece! Can't wait to see the 1/35 version. I hope you will buy the extra crew for this to finish it off.

Cheers,

Ron

N

noble

\ said:
Thank you for the compliment Scott, much appreciated.Who's been a good boy this year then?! I look forward to seeing the PT boat on here soon. I built PT 109 ( JFK's boat) in 1/72 many moons ago. It sits on a shelf in my den to this day and in one piece! Can't wait to see the 1/35 version. I hope you will buy the extra crew for this to finish it off.

Cheers,

Ron
OOOhhhh yes the crew is a must, the schnellboot pics will be appearing soon within the next week i should think after many moons of building and painting.

scott:knight:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi,ron. Theres only one word for this-superb workmanship! Joking aside this is astoundingly good well done.You always know what looks right and the composition and photography are always spot on, every scene is like being there ,youve got the eyes of spielberg (oh, and he says he wants them back!) So lets recap, superb subject model-tick ,breathtaking photography-tick , great composition-tick, rusty bucket-tick . Yep that seems to be everything covered ,go to the top of the class ronald. Wishing you and the present mrs ron and all my new found mates on here a very merry xmas-may all your headaches be scale ones! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
hi,ron. Theres only one word for this-superb workmanship! Joking aside this is astoundingly good well done.You always know what looks right and the composition and photography are always spot on, every scene is like being there ,youve got the eyes of spielberg (oh, and he says he wants them back!) So lets recap, superb subject model-tick ,breathtaking photography-tick , great composition-tick, rusty bucket-tick . Yep that seems to be everything covered ,go to the top of the class ronald. Wishing you and the present mrs ron and all my new found mates on here a very merry xmas-may all your headaches be scale ones! cheers tony
Thank you Tony for this generous praise.

Your words and those of my fellow modellers make it a pleasure to share my efforts with you all, and equally for me to see other models, different techniques and finishes. The great thing, as in life generally is that we are all different, hence the great diversity in our finished models.

I have learnt such a lot in such a short space of time from this great crowd of people....long may it stay so!!

All the best mate, thanks again,

Ron

S

Snipersunset

Hi i've only just started modelling ( if that's the correct terminology) so my opinions count for nowt, but i know what i like and i like that!

That is the kind of thing that made me pick up the glue and try and stick these tiny bits of plastic together. If i can end up at some point making this kind of quality i'll be a very happy bunny.

Anyway enough waffle, the point was top job fella.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the nice comments Sniper.

I have to be formal as we don't know your name..yet!

I'm glad you like this diorama and I hope it gives you the incentive to 'av a go yourself....If you need any help just let the 'committee' know. There are some very knowledgeable people here who would be only too happy to offer advise.

Good luck with your builds and lets see some pickies soon.

Ron