Aoshima 1/12 Kawasaki 750 RS

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst working on my half track, I've decided to go next for a motorbike, specifically, this:
aoshima 750rs.jpg
As you may able to read, at the bottom, the boxart is of the "standard model. The actual model features the customized version." In other words, you can't actually make the model shown in the picture!! There is a small picture on the side of the box of the model inside. The Aoshima model seems almost to be made for the Japanese market, the English translations are not exactly comprehensive. I'll be putting up some sprue pictures tomorrow, there are a lot of surplus parts, and the instructions need careful study................
Dave

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Got to love that Dave….I owned its slightly later model close cousin….
7F350EC7-BB46-437A-9782-2C55C95E526E.jpeg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just trying to decipher the colour call outs - the tank is a mixture of copper & 'russet' - I know what colour they're trying to mix, but I rather think I might go with some metallic red ( I found a bottle in my box! ) - after all it's a customised version!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OK, this is the picture from the side of the box:
DSCF2267.JPG
Sprue shots...............................DSCF2251.JPGDSCF2252.JPGDSCF2253.JPGDSCF2254.JPGDSCF2255.JPGDSCF2256.JPGDSCF2257.JPG
The instructions are reasonably clear, but have minimal English. There are many alternate parts, brake discs, seats etc, that will need careful sorting out. The two 'chrome' sprues have differing finishes, which looks quite good. Overall the parts are cleanly & crisply moulded............................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Some detail shots:
DSCF2258.JPGDSCF2259.JPG
DSCF2260.JPG
A few sink marks on the chain sprocket, I'll have to see if they will be visible after assembly
DSCF2261.JPGDSCF2264.JPG
There are two different brake disc sets............DSCF2262.JPGDSCF2263.JPG
Chain & cam drive covers
DSCF2265.JPG
Shocks - unlike a lot of Tamiya bikes, it has solid suspension.
Looks OK, the parts may not have the crispness of a Tamiya production, and time will tell if the fit is any good.
Dave

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Those sprocket sink marks look like they're where the studs/nuts for mounting would be - are there some one the other side?

Nick

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Can't resist watching another bike build - have fun !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction started - sort of..................................
DSCF2274.JPG
The assembly starts with the front forks & wheel, and the rear swing arm, but you have to paint the discs & chain first.

Then the problems start - I thought the mouldings were pretty good, but on close inspection of the 'plated' parts shows mould split lines & sink marks.DSCF2270.JPGDSCF2271.JPGDSCF2272.JPGDSCF2273.JPG
The swing arm may be hard to see in the finished model, but the front forks are prominent.
Out with the glass jar & the bleach, and half an hour later
DSCF2275.JPG
Tesco Lemon Thick Bleach works wonders! Split line & filler will clean these parts up - I probably will have to do some more of these plated parts!
Engine assembly next, but I will have to join the front mudguard & fuel tank halves first - these will be metallic red, and the joins will have to be perfect to give a good finish on what are really prominent parts, so a lot of sanding ( not filler, I hope ) before I think of priming.
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's some fairly large sink marks there Dave.

I've obviously heard of bleach removing plating before but never had to it. How long do you have to leave it in soak for?

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sink marks are a little concerning Dave. Fairly easy to fix, but a bit of a pain. Never had a model without mould split lines though, so thats par for the course.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That's some fairly large sink marks there Dave.

I've obviously heard of bleach removing plating before but never had to it. How long do you have to leave it in soak for?

ATB.

Andrew
Andrew,
This plating was easy, 1/2 hour in a 75/25 bleach/water mix. I have had some which resisted much longer, but putting them in a fresh mix worked ( over 2 days I reckon ). The plating just flakes/dissolves/
The water is added 'cos the Tesco bleach is a thick bleach & you want it runny, to get into all the cracks. and Tesco, because that's my household bleach ( Cheap! )
I use a small clear glass jar ( hot salsa dip ), that I put the bleach mix & parts in, and give a shake every now & then, and inspect the effect of the bleach. After, I rinse in clean water, give a wash in warm soapy water ( washing up liquid ), air dried & ready for painting/filling
Dave

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew,
This plating was easy, 1/2 hour in a 75/25 bleach/water mix. I have had some which resisted much longer, but putting them in a fresh mix worked ( over 2 days I reckon ). The plating just flakes/dissolves/
The water is added 'cos the Tesco bleach is a thick bleach & you want it runny, to get into all the cracks. and Tesco, because that's my household bleach ( Cheap! )
I use a small clear glass jar ( hot salsa dip ), that I put the bleach mix & parts in, and give a shake every now & then, and inspect the effect of the bleach. After, I rinse in clean water, give a wash in warm soapy water ( washing up liquid ), air dried & ready for painting/filling
Dave
Thanks Dave, much appreciated. Will bear your advice in mind should i ever be faced with it!!

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I will say one thing for you mate, you certainly have a diverse collection I never know what's coming next. I will follow along.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I will say one thing for you mate, you certainly have a diverse collection I never know what's coming next. I will follow along.
Very true!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'd really get bored with doing one genre, so yes, I do jump around a lot! Although, I've only ever made one SF model ( and that was for a mates' kid ), and never any fantasy stuff. I've made one Toon ( not likely to make any more ) but I'll generally have a go at anything!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Having problems with my OA. The next batch of plated bits have had their bath
DSCF2276.JPG

I couldn't assemble the front forks without the front mudguard - which are metallic red, so the first attempt at left-handed airbrushing...........................
DSCF2278.JPG
Doesn't look particularly metallic in the pictures, but it is! A couple of coats of gloss varnish & they'll be read for use.
Assembly of the rear wheel & swing arm. Had to use flash, as it's getting dark earlier!
DSCF2279.JPGDSCF2280.JPG
Depending on how my hand is - I'll either prime & basecoat the frame, or assemble the forks & wheel.
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Starting to come on Dave. Just like building a real one…..