Applying Painted Tamiya Tape to Decorate Model Surface?

S

Stevekir

I want to apply narrow strips of red paint on to the surface of a fully painted 1/24 model. It is important that the edges of the red are very clean. For various reasons doing it the conventional way (masking off everything except the bits to be painted red) would be difficult. I have been practicing applying 3-mm-wide strips of Tamiya tape. I can get good mitred joins at changes of direction and the tape sticks well (the relevant part of the model will not be handled). My next step is to paint the Tamiya tape with coats of red enamel paint (with a brush), and when dry cut it into 3 mm strips and apply to the model surface as above.

From my tests so far with the unpainted tape, it looks good. But Tamiya tape is not designed to be painted nor in use for a long time. Will it dry out and peel, or something else? Will it work - if so, it is the answer. (I realize this is an odd application that few people will have tried, but what do you think?

I have tried thin (0.25 mm) polystyrene sheet cut into strips but it is sufficiently thick even at that small thickness that if the mitring of the joins is not perfect (which is a nightmare to get right), it can be seen.

(One attractive feature of modelling is that it tests your ingenuity!)

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Steve, why not try to use thin strips of pre-painted decal paper? It would be thinner than the tape and permanent.

J

John Rixon

Also worth looking into self-adhesive vinyl sheet, I've used some in the past that is incredibly thin, and in the pre computer days, Letraset (the dry transfer lettering company) made products that would be perfect for this - "Letraline" and "Letrafilm". I know this company no longer exists, but suspect that there is still a demand for such products, so reckon it's worth you doing some concerted research on the web. Letraline came in many widths, and once applied, looked painted on!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
1mm nail art tape,

Hi Steve,I would real try some think like this,

and at the same time you could get a few colors,I have used this type of thing before,

very quick and easy to use, :D

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw=1mm+nail+pin+stripping+tape&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XRoll+of+1mm+Line+Sticker+Nail+Art+Striping+Tape+.TRS0&_nkw=Roll+of+1mm+Line+Sticker+Nail+Art+Striping+Tape+&_sacat=0

Last edited by a moderator:
J

John Rixon

\ said:
Depending on the profile of the surfaces draughtsman's bow pen could work.
Trouble with them is that they tend to create quite a raised surface, relatively, of course, not to mention the hours of practise required to learn their many traits - ask me how I know this!!!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You could also try Fox Transfers, they do all manner of decals for railway modeller's including coach and loco lining. They do 2.5mm red lining decals - http://fox-transfers.co.uk/general-alphabets-linings?colouralpha_lining=2707&lining_depth=1345

HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Awins

\ said:
You could also try Fox Transfers, they do all manner of decals for railway modeller's including coach and loco lining. They do 2.5mm red lining decals - http://fox-transfers.co.uk/general-alphabets-linings?colouralpha_lining=2707&lining_depth=1345
HTH.
\ said:
I want to apply narrow strips of red paint on to the surface of a fully painted 1/24 model. It is important that the edges of the red are very clean. For various reasons doing it the conventional way (masking off everything except the bits to be painted red) would be difficult. I have been practicing applying 3-mm-wide strips of Tamiya tape. I can get good mitred joins at changes of direction and the tape sticks well (the relevant part of the model will not be handled). My next step is to paint the Tamiya tape with coats of red enamel paint (with a brush), and when dry cut it into 3 mm strips and apply to the model surface as above.
From my tests so far with the unpainted tape, it looks good. But Tamiya tape is not designed to be painted nor in use for a long time. Will it dry out and peel, or something else? Will it work - if so, it is the answer. (I realize this is an odd application that few people will have tried, but what do you think?

I have tried thin (0.25 mm) polystyrene sheet cut into strips but it is sufficiently thick even at that small thickness that if the mitring of the joins is not perfect (which is a nightmare to get right), it can be seen.

(One attractive feature of modelling is that it tests your ingenuity!)
Steve, could you not use electrical insulation tape cut into strips.

S

Stevekir

Thanks folks. I have been experimenting. If find that neither Tamiya Tape nor electrical insulation tape stick properly. The part is painted in Vallejo Model Air Aluminium so perhaps that is the cause. I looked for self-adhesive vinyl tape but, following the discovery that the other tapes will not stick I decided not to pursue this, nor for the same reason Monica's nail decoration strips. I am going to experiment with Fox Transfers. They do a 4 mm red lining decal which I have ordered. My ideal is 3 mm but if I apply only 3 mm width on the surface I think, when the decal is dry, I could cut off the overhanging 1 mm with a sharp craft knife , or I could stick that 1 mm excess onto the edge which will in any case be painted red. Here's hoping. If that doesn't work I could make my own decal with the special paper available and my inkjet printer.

I was impressed by the Fox site which is huge, and all just for transfers (decals).