Arduino

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi all

I have been noticing more and more lately that modellers are beginning to use arduino based control systems to add lights, sound and/or movement to models they build. I was wondering if anyone here has been looking into this and has considered learning about arduino, as I am?

John

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jason

I am still very much a neophyte as far as this is concerned, however I have seen Arduino ( Basically a small programmable computer) used with the many peripherals that can be added to control other devices. Railway guys seem to use it a fair amount. There are all sorts of sensors that can be connected to the control chip that can detect heat, moisture, sound, movement etc etc. The controller chip can then be programmed to activate lights, sounds, motors and servos.

I may well be too old to understand much more but I have ordered a basic learning kit. I will post more when it comes.

John

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I always learn something here!
Up to now, to me, Arduino was the last Italian king of Italy before Vittorio Emanuele II, the former in the 11th century, the latter in 1861...
I'm not a "special effects" fan but I do agree that some of the new (to me at least) stuff is really intriguing.
Hope there's some expert here as I'm willing to get new ideas on this hobby.
John, many thanks for introducing the topic.
Andrea.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

I've seen a few projects using Arduino outside of the model world John, but never dabbled myself.

For those that have never heard of it, think of it like a slower, simplified Raspberry Pi

(wonders how many haven't heard of those either...)

• Haha

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi John

I've built a couple of Arduino projects - but not model specific I have wondered about using them in that context but as I build predominantly armour I haven't come up with a compelling reason yet.

I've always thought that they'd be most appropriate in the model railway scene.

I have wondered about including in a diorama setting.

I've been a programmer of sorts for over 35 years so the coding part of it isn't an issue to me. I picked up a starter set from the internet for around ~£30 that has all you need to get started but I've bought a few extra boards (the "nano" ) since.

Mark

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good to see that there is some interest.

Mark You seem to be a resident expert so be prepared for stupid questions in the future. I am thinking of using arduino in the context of boxed dioramas and maybe even puppets.

finish 5.jpg

This is the sort of thing that could perhaps be animated with some arduino control.

John

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
John
The simplest Arduino applications would be controlling LEDs hence the use in model railway layouts for street lights and traffic signals etc. You could also control relays and servos quite easily. Motor speed control is also quite straightforward so starting/running/stopping props on aircraft would be one application. If you Google "Arduino project hub" there are a whole load of ideas of varying complexity. The nano boards are literally "cheap as chips" but can be a challenge to work with if you need to solder. In general they need a 3 or 5 volt power supply - usb chargers are ideal but I run a temperature sensor with a web server from a mobile phone top up battery.
Mark

Dwayne

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dwayne
Check out my grandaughters carousel thread in "completed misc model builds" section.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi again all

So I had decided to get into this subject and see what it might be able to do. I bought one of these kits which is really very good indeed. It contains the basic arduino board as well as any number of sensors and devices to allow you to learn. There are example programs and sufficient gubins, wires, resistors, leds, power supplies and motors to get to grips with everything. I suspect this set must sell for around 50 pounds in the UK (on Amazon) I paid about $75 over here.

starter kit.jpg

And this is the little bad boy that everything is driven from.

arduino board.jpg

Now I am having fun with this set BUT I think it merits a big warning, this is a set designed for fairly informed 15 year olds, for 68 year olds who have lost most of their functioning brain cells it is certainly not a simple toy to get to grips with. I would reserve recommending this to those among you who are very comfortable with computers and who have at least a little coding in their background. Having said that I can certainly see its appliocation to any model that includes lights and/or movement.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
We of more advanced years are so often left behind by youngsters when it come to technology. All credit to you for giving it a go. I am sure this will compliment your modelling skills - puppets and boxed dios. I'll watch with interest.

Just remember that well know proverb ....
1611477990642.png

Jim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks guys, but I probably won't post too much stuff on this thread. The satisfaction of getting a circuit up and running and getting some code to make it function is greater than the actual end result displays.

Jim I am entirely in agreement with you. Somehow I suspect that if we were ever to meet we would find a lot of common ground between us and we would get along well.

John

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'll sit and watch, gleaning as much as an can before I use lights again in the next project.

Dwayne

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dwayne
The Uno is probably the most popular board but a little on the large side for some models, the Nano however is about 1/4 the size and able to do all that the Uno can.