Ark Models 1/350 Shell Welder

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
I've heard lots of positive things about this kit:

"its positively the worst model boat kit on the market" - A. Modeler

But in for a penny in for a pound, I've got a couple of boat kits but thought I would build this, and to be fair to the old kit, it seems to build up to a nice model given a bit of patience, some care and if needed a bit of scratching.

So sprue shots:

Sprue_1.jpgSprue_2.jpgSprue_3.jpgsprue_4.jpg

There's not too much flash, and the pin marks have been carefully placed, possibly by someone who has a low opinion of modelers.

Putting the hull halves together there's a little bit of a gap at the pointy end, nothing too noticeable...

BowGap.jpg

But some masking tape and care closed that up, so this is where it currently stands, I'm trying to work out how the decks are meant to go in, and if it is better to remove the molded pipe detail first, and replace with some wire.

this is where I am at:

Ship.jpgShip_Bottom.jpgShipSide.jpg

oh and a little gap to sort out at the back...

SternGap.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The first picture of the hull halves going together, I thought it was a roll on roll off ferry without the bow door fitted. Nice fix though.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Reminds me of the MacBrayne Car Ferry card model I made on here. Except she was supposed to have a big opening in the bows!

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
good luck! :flushed: :flushed: :flushed:

Thanks - I think I'm going to need it :smiling3:

I've often wondered if the people responsible for these old moulding thought "That's near enough".
Pete

The molding's are not to bad - sure the wind catcher things are molded solid so they need drilling out, its more the knock out marks, "hmmm where shall we put them, on the underside where no one will see them, or on the lovely wooden decking that Fred has spent ages slaving over hmmm.... well I never did like Fred".

The first picture of the hull halves going together, I thought it was a roll on roll off ferry without the bow door fitted. Nice fix though.

Thank you, the plastic is that lovely soft flexible stuff, so I think the gaps can all be solved with 'persuasion', and glue, lots of glue

Reminds me of the MacBrayne Car Ferry card model I made on here. Except she was supposed to have a big opening in the bows!

Good to have you along Ron.

hope to have the next update tomorrow night, hopefully the decks will be installed, or at least some of the knock out marks filled in.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I shall join in if so may Dom.
Looking a lot better in those last photos, so it's working .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dom im in with J/R as he always gets front seats so hopefully i'll get one an yes ive built this model donkeys yrs ago an i enjoyed it but i cant remember having such a big gap on the stern as i floated mine in the bath then took it down to the pond an fitted in it a little demon banger an it blew off the deck an the bottom an well lets say she was deep sixed if i remember rightly always loved blowin up boats too much gerry andersons exsploshions on thunderbirds lol
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It's actually 1/130 scale - and according to 'Scalemates' has been released by 8 different makers, starting with Frog in 1961. Considering the age of the moulds, it's not bad for a 60 year old. I've been searching ebay for one of these, but they can go for silly money, so I'll tag along!
SAve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So a few gaps here and there. Nothing a warm bath can't cure. It looks like it will pull together OK though.
As for the moulded in pipes, I think it would look a lot better if you cut them away where you can and replaced them with round stock of some kind.
We don't see to many civil ships on here so this will be a good one to watch.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see you beating this kit into submission. I'm sure it will be worth all the hard work. Good luck with the rest of the build

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
I shall join in if so may Dom.
Looking a lot better in those last photos, so it's working .

The more the merrier, though no naked flames on the deck :smiling3:

HI Dom im in with J/R as he always gets front seats so hopefully i'll get one an yes ive built this model donkeys yrs ago an i enjoyed it but i cant remember having such a big gap on the stern as i floated mine in the bath then took it down to the pond an fitted in it a little demon banger an it blew off the deck an the bottom an well lets say she was deep sixed if i remember rightly always loved blowin up boats too much gerry andersons exsploshions on thunderbirds lol
chris

Glad to have you aboard Chris - the gap will be easily solved - tape, glue, and gap filler it'll be fine -

It's actually 1/130 scale - and according to 'Scalemates' has been released by 8 different makers, starting with Frog in 1961. Considering the age of the moulds, it's not bad for a 60 year old. I've been searching ebay for one of these, but they can go for silly money, so I'll tag along!
SAve

:smiling3: I'm glad someone's paying attention to what I'm doing ;) you've spotted my deliberate error - not sure what you consider silly money - its was £30 delivered from ebay which I'm ok with it will give me a fair few hours of cursing and swearing, and it doesn't have individual links.

So a few gaps here and there. Nothing a warm bath can't cure. It looks like it will pull together OK though.
As for the moulded in pipes, I think it would look a lot better if you cut them away where you can and replaced them with round stock of some kind.
We don't see to many civil ships on here so this will be a good one to watch.

Ian - could to have you along for the voyage - I've started tackling the moulded on pipes.

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
Some progress on this - this could be a long slow build - the following is the result of 3 hours this morning - still needs some tidy up and a few little details:

but from this:

1.JPG

To this:
2.JPG

And from this:
3.JPG

To this:
4.JPG

Like I said some clean up to do, and to find something to use to add the brackets to the pipes, but I think its an improvement, though it looks terrible in the photos.

I'm also trying to work out how to do the pipes on the deck, I'm planning on using the same rod and wire on them, I just need to find something that I can use to build it all up on, before I remove the piping from the decking.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
is there anywhere you’d recommend to get that from?
Foil from wine bottle necks is good, well the proper stuff that is, failing that foil take away a la Chinese is good. Added bonus you get something to eat or drink or both !

bilbo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dom
Foil from wine bottle necks is good, well the proper stuff that is, failing that foil take away a la Chinese is good. Added bonus you get something to eat or drink or both !
Now that’s a good idea, I’ll raid the recycling bin!