Ark Models Sig 33 (SF) “Bison”

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve,
What are the dimensions of the wicker baskets ? I have some 21.5 mm long and 8mm in diameter that came in Trumeters s.FH 18 Field Howitzer Gun Crew item number 00425, you get 4 in the box.
regards Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Afternoon Steve,
Something completely different from the norm! Should make for a very interesting build, especially with all the extra goodies :smiling4:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
I'm looking forward to this. You have certainly given the project a lot of thought and gathered up plenty of kit. If you could source just one basket it may be possible to cast the others you need.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Thanks Si. Already made a start and enjoying it so far.
You really want me to start doing resin work dont you Jim :smiling5::smiling2: The other Jim has been kind enough to send me the 18cm ones so we will see how they look first. Glad to have you along for the build

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in , bringing the cakes with me from my disaster.
Should be good Steve, can see this with all the add ons being a master class in additions.
Sitting in the corner, feeling P off:disappointed:
JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The other Jim has been kind enough to send me the 18cm ones so we will see how they look first.
If they’re for the 15 cm sFH 18 then they’re not 18 cm, they’re the same calibre as for your 15 cm sIG 33. If the baskets are for the projectiles only, chances are they would be the same for either gun — or at least, that the sFH 18 ones won’t look out of place with an sIG 33.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Hopefully you are feeling a bit better now JR after that save. They will have you in goal for England next
They are a couple of mm bigger than the Dragon ones Jakko but they look more realistic Looking forward to getting them on the Bison
I was tempted Peter but Mr T hasn't given me a lesson on micro weaving yet.:smiling3:
Your definitely in Scottie. Your detailing is a great driving force for me

Jim (&Samson) stepped up to the plate and sent me the baskets for the ammo. They were given FOC and for the luv of wanting to help a fellow modeller. Top bloke:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:. They certainly look the part. They are a little too big for the PE parts but with a little adjustment this will not be an issue

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,
I am sure a man of your skills is up to the challenge. I find these models more satisfying when you get them to look good than the expensive over engineered kits.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Loving it. Part of this mogglin lark is the satisfaction of finding a way around problems. That blue stuff looks interesting. Did the milliput parts come out when you warmed it? Do you have a link for the blue stuff?
Jim

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Total respect Steve, you always make something out of a bummer.
Paul is quite right in sayings its more satisfying, as long as you have the tenacity to beat the living ** of it.
JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steve, you sneaked this one in didn’t you. Have only just seen it!

I have the Alan version up in the stash

Pretty sure I have Actung Panzer and Nuts and Bolts books that cover it as well since I was originally thinking of scratching a 1/15(120mm) version so if you need any technical stuff I may be able to help out

I wove some of the short baskets for SiG33 shells in 35th from pewter strips then cast them for use with a rebuilt resin StuiG33b that never got finished - good fun you should give it a go

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I tried both types of Milliput to see which worked best.
Ooh! Ooh! I know the answer!

Neither of them.

Seriously, why do people still bother with Milliput? Back when it was the only epoxy putty available, sure; nowadays, you have so many better alternatives that it actually surprises me they still even make this stuff.

I am sorry to report it didn't work. The part was too small and the end snapped off. The yellow Milliput totally fell apart. However I am not defeated. I have done some more and I will leave for a couple of days.
My idea would be to use a different epoxy putty, one that’s easier to work with and finer-grained. If you must, the white Milliput is fine enough but very hard to tell if you’ve mixed it correctly (one part being white and the other, off-white).

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

That's going to be plan B Jim. I broke it as I was forcing it out of the mould. So as you say I will reheat it this time and take it out more carefully. I brought mine from the Green Stuff World website which can be easily googled
Cheers Ralph. More to come:thumb2:
Fortunately the mojo is sky high at the moment JR. In two months time and 400+ rivets later I many not be so chipper:smiling5:
Many thanks Mr T. PM sent
Milliput has always worked for me Jakko. It was my heavy handiness that caused it to break

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Stevie,

I am just catching up here and am real surprised that the Ark kit is so badly molded. Like SimonT, I too have the Alan kit and after looking through it earlier and comparing the parts, I would say you have gotten a real badly molded kit. My Alan kit has almost no flash and the suspension mount pieces that fit into the hull look 100% better than your kits parts. I'm glad to see you have overcome the probs and are moving on with it...

I like the idea of you doing the Bison in a winter scheme. I had hoped you would do it in a summer scheme. If you don't mind, I have posted a pic of the summer scheme just in case you change your mind Buddy.
I'll be following along just in case you have any probs. Now get cracking Stevie!!!

Prost
Allen