Ark Models Sig 33 (SF) “Bison”

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Absolutely Jim. It has a place in the remaking of pieces but some what limited
Many thanks Simon
The name Bison is a nickname given to the vehicle after the war by certain historians and authors and overtime it just became the norm Paul. It was never used by the Germans during WWII
He is indeed a great help on and off the forum JR. We are more richer because of him

Last edited:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Very nice build Steve, I really like all of the detail work you're putting in :thumb2:
Cheers,
Steven

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Definitely worth the effort Steve - looks much better with the added details

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great work Steve
Lifting this to a whole new level.....looks superb....

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Many thanks Paul and thanks again with the info on the bike
Glad you like the detailing Steven. More to come today:thumb2:
I'm pleased also with the detailing Simon. Looks quite neat
Cheers Scottie:thumb2:
Its been a struggle this morning Jim. But like you say - worth the effort
Appreciate the feedback Tim. Need to see some of your figure work again soon mate

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hiya Mate,

Excellent work on this old codger of a kit! I say it every time but your work is getting more refined with each build, your obviously enjoying yourself:smiling4:
I’m no expert but I seem to remember open vehicles being painted the same colour as the exterior? Don’t quote me tho, I expect someone will pop in a correct me:smiling5:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Stevie,

Top job so far buddy, but you seem to be hung up on the fact that the transmission/differential is a motor. The motor was in the rear and was never in the front. The kit from Ark doesn't come with one included. More later....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Steve
More great stuff.....
Figure work is off the cards at the moment.... I’ve had to turn the man cave into an office for the impending house sale.....SWIMBO doesn’t think a fully fitted model workshop is a selling point :disappointed:
No modelling until after the move at present.....

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ok, I'm back. I don't understand your point about an open vehicle and ceiling color. The 150 mm was mounted, wheels and all on top of a Pz. I minus turret. The interior of the Pz. I normally would be painted in Elfenbein (Ivory). The big casemate plates around the cannon would be Panzer grey both inside and out. You don't see much of the interior when the 150 mm is mounted. The rest of the vehicle would also be finished in Panzer grey. HTHs clear up your confusion Stevie...

• Wow

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
The sprocket is nicely and correctly detailed. However that central injector mark had to be removed
Many would have assumed that neat, central, circular injector mark was meant to be there. Me included! Great research to get it right
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Steve, I'm with Si on the interior wall color being the same as the exterior. Have seen several photos to that effect one in fact, even had the camo scheme carried over to the interior as well. Cheers, Rick H.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Have to agree w/AllenD. Even the later purpose built semi-open AFVs had the driver's area in ivory as you still need to see stuff in low light conditions. PaulE

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
After five hours sleep last night Allen it could be an impulse drive with deuterium fusion reactors for all I know :smiling5::smiling3:
Glad you like it Tim. Sorry to here your bench is still in a box. I hope you get the sale soon
I only twigged it because of the Panzer I build Jim. I would have been the same as anyone else otherwise:smiling3::thumb2:

Okay then - Si,Rick, Allen and Paul. Many thanks for putting your head above the parapet and giving me an opinion on the interior colour. As there are two camps with differing opinions I have to let someone down so apologies for that.

I have obviously done my own research also. I have 7 books on the Panzer I and its variants and countless photos. At no time have I come across a passage of text or a definitive picture to answer the question. Therefore it is down do summation. There was one photo in Achtung Panzer with a blown up Bison and a small section of the internal wall showing. It was certainly light rather than dark.

I have been inspired by Gary Edmundson's Osprey book on his Bison conversion and Dario Risso on his Dragon build. One has used Elfenbein and the other Panzergrau on the walls.

I liked Allen's comment about little of the interior is seen once the gun is on. This is very true with the photos that I have seen, to the point of, how on earth does the driver get in?:smiling3:.

However Paul's final comment about low light conditions swung it for me. The Bison crew had little room to put ammo above them. Usually three on the fenders and one under the gun. Therefore they stowed as much as they could in the lower hull and therefore light would be a premium if dealing with high explosives.

So I thank you all for your help and I have decided to go for Red Oxide floor and Elfenbein ceiling and walls

I would like to say it does concern me somewhat the amount of Bison (Buffalo) recipes that came up when doing my research on Google :smiling5::smiling3:

Many thanks to one and all. If you still have an opinion please feel free to express it

Steve

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
So it was time to turn my attention to the Tristar/Hobbyboss internal pieces.
Maybe the best choice for others who also want to build this vehicle, would be to buy a Tristar/HobbyBoss Panzer I and graft the Ark Models superstructure and gun onto it?

I would value your opinions on paint schemes as it is an open vehicle. I am okay with the engine and other bits and bobs, its the floor , ceiling and walls I need help on. I am leaning towards a red oxide floor. I cant see the walls being Elfenbein as it is an open vehicle. Would the walls be Red Oxide or Panzergrau??. The same question applies to the ceiling.
I would guess the whole thing would be Panzer grey on the inside, at least for the superstructure. Chances are the hull would be painted like a Panzer I normally was (red floor and off-white walls, I think?), I suppose.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve, I'm a bit late to respond but I'm with Allen on the interior. Remember that Panzer 1's were pre-red oxide years during manufacture unless the Germans were meticulous and removed every item from the floor to repaint it red oxide during modifications to the Bison...I could be wrong as well. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Not a problem Stevie and I can imagine how bad it is to suffer from sleep deprivation. The mind goes wild and you confuse parts and have fantasies about red oxide paint.

I think it all boils down to your living in a Plymouth my friend. I can only hope that it is a station wagon that has more room so you can stretch out and get some better sleep. Please Don't forget to crack a window while the motor is running to work the heater. Exhaust fumes are a real brain cell killer and can cause delirious fits of madness!!!!!!!!!!