Armour builders, rubber track painting help.

M

m1ks

How do you armour guys deal with the rubber tank tracks, do you just fit and have at it with a brush then dry brush for the worn metal?

Obviously painting off leaves the problem of paint cracking upon re fitting.

Am wanting to finish off my first tank but unsure how best to approach the rubber band tracks. Thanks.

F

Fenlander

I just spray them up with acrylic primer and then colour whatever that will be per the vehicle and let them dry for at least 24 hours. Then very gently fit them and weather after fitting. Touch wood but inviting problems, I have never had the paint crack or flake off as yet but must admit, I don't do many with rubber bands now as link tracks are becoming more popular. Dragon DM(?) tracks, the yellow glueable ones also paint up OK prior to fitting.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What Graham said plus remember to wash them first. They can be a bit oily.

I have not had problems with the ones I have done, but like Graham. I have gotten the single link bug.

Ian M

P

phalinmegob

i prime them first with wilkos primer, then spray the whole thing anthracite.when dry i cover them in flory rust wash and leave to dry. then wipe over with a very slighty moist tissue removes the excess wash, leave till bone dry again and then dry brush silver on the high spots and where there would be wear.i have not done a single track type yet. i have not been particularly light with them either and had no problems with flaking paint

M

m1ks

Great, that's good news thanks guys, I wanted to paint them off the tank preferably ab but was concerned about the paint giving when re fitting them. Will look at that shortly as I'll need to prime my new project soon also. :smiling3: