Artesania Latina Cutty Sark

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's a bummer Ken, no drawing of the part, so apart for asking and searching the web how do they expect you to know.
It's looking beautiful by the way, the detail you have acheived is remarkable.
Hope you find out .

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ken

Not an expert but it looks to me that the part with two holes, (sort of like a figure of eight) are the brackets that hold the studding sail booms. These are small diameter booms that attach to the bottom of the main yards and allow the studding sail booms to be slid out or in as needed. The other part with the open ended lugs on the side looks like one the fixtures for the U shaped piece to attach to the yard.

The yard will be attached to the mast by another piece called a Parrell. Which usually is a loop that goes around the mast and attaches to the U shaped piece. This often has wooden beads attached to it to allow the yard to slide up and down the mast as required.

John

Last edited:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Cont....

This is how the studding sails attach. Note this is an earlier ship so the boom is above the yard. Yours is the same idea but with the boom attached below the yard. Note when the booms are below the yard they are not attached exactly vertically below the yard but pushed just a little for'ard to allow space for the foot ropes which will hang vertically below the yard.

stun sl.jpg

I hope this helps a little. Feel free to ask any other questions and I will try to help. Like I say not an expert but I have built a few wooden boats and I am a big fan of everything nautical.

John

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks mate that is sort of what I thought, it's nice to have it confirmed.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Just to explain all the parts in this kit are numbered but there are no pictures of the numbered parts so unless the photo shows the part clearly you have no idea what the part is or how it looks
That's bizarre! So they expect you to find for yourself which part is which!
Your work is even more impressive knowing that.
Pete

D

Deleted member 3568

No like for instance a pre cut part part 21 is described as lower deck bow 1 pref 1,5 plywood.
Another part 159 deck chain chock pref 9 cast in metal.
Neither have photos of the part just that description some finished parts have a line going behind the object pointing to the part with the part number in a white circle.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all finished the first yard.

IMG-2639.jpg
IMG-2640.jpg

And before I get comments about the order I'm building this in I know it's not per instructions but hey they are pretty useless anyway.

I've added the first real sail.

IMG-2631.jpg
IMG-2638.jpg
IMG-2636.jpg
IMG-2637.jpg

I know it will get in the way of a lot of the rigging but I intend to tie it up out of the way temporarily. I know the lines from the base of the sail which go toward the stern will get in the way but I will leave them till last.

Apart from the instructions i really like this kit (yes I know it's not an accurate depiction of the Cutty Sark)

It will still be a lovely model of a clipper ship anyway.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking good Ken. Why isn't it accurate?
Pete

D

Deleted member 3568

I couldn't begin to list the errors (that I know of and I'm no where near an expert on the C,S)
There are literally 100s of errors to name just one the chain winch under the poop deck is way too wide, ok 2 the steps which go up to the poop deck dont, oh go on 3 the cabin in front of the chain winch is twice as wide and the wrong shape than it should be, I've not even left the bow yet and there are dozens more that I as a self confessed non expert know of in just this area, that said I still think it will build into a beautiful generic clipper ship.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I couldn't begin to list the errors (that I know of and I'm no where near an expert on the C,S)
There are literally 100s of errors to name just one the chain winch under the poop deck is way too wide, ok 2 the steps which go up to the poop deck dont, oh go on 3 the cabin in front of the chain winch is twice as wide and the wrong shape than it should be, I've not even left the bow yet and there are dozens more that I as a self confessed non expert know of in just this area, that said I still think it will build into a beautiful generic clipper ship.

KEN you have an are doin a wonderfull job on this ship an its a pity she wont sail on real water because if she did she would be a knockout but im enjoyin your build an some of what you are doin id find very hard to do wonderfull build
chris

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all bit more done got the coppering room done (changed the top door as using the kit one and adding the embellishments made the door ridiculously thick) and the central ward room also more rigging on the sail (probably doesn't even notice) but it's there

IMG-2667.jpg
IMG-2666.jpg
IMG-2668.jpg
IMG-2669.jpg

IMG-2664.jpg

You cant really tell but some swearing was involved in the practically invisible rigging you cant even see on the sails.

IMG-2671.jpg
IMG-2661.jpg
IMG-2663.jpg
IMG-2670.jpg

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'd forgotten the "steps to nowhere". I bet some of the winches were replaced during her many refits though. Anyway, the main thing is, as you say, it will be a beautiful clipper model when finished, and representative of the Cutty Sark if not an exact replica.
Pete

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well I just couldn't stand looking at those sloping shrouds any more.

IMG-2851.jpg
IMG-2850.jpg

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Fantastic work.She looks beautiful.
Re. the ship's launch. Did you remove the metal shell after planking ?
Jon.

D

Deleted member 3568

OK so she's back on the bench first thing is to get rid of 18 months of dust

IMG-0031.jpg

IMG-0025.jpg

IMG-0024.jpg

IMG-0023.jpg

It was a lot harder than you might think

IMG-0024.jpg

IMG-0030.jpg

IMG-0029.jpg