Artesania Latina Cutty Sark

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I have done some of the planking I've cut the planks at 70mm which I think in this equates to 10 yards at this scale (although the planking supplied is I think is over scale at about 12"wide ) I'm not going to add the nail heads as I've seen on the printed decks available in this scale as I dont believe a nail with a head diameter of 6 mm would be visible at this scale at.

The planking is very slow going but quite satisfying.

IMG-20191019-40964.jpg
IMG-20191019-29629.jpg

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm sure you're right about the nails Ken, I can't see any at all in my photos taken on board her.
P1110299.JPG
I hope you're feeling brave when it comes to the rigging:
P1110305.JPG
Have fun!
Pete

D

Deleted member 3568

I'm trying not to think about the rigging (tbh there are 6 full size plans on the rigging so hopefully that will make it easier) (when I say full sized I mean to the model, would be a bit awkward unfolding full sized plans, not to mention the extensions to the house I would have to make:smiling2:)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ken
Glad you have got all the corrections done. From now on it is, as you say, like a new kit - all down to you :thumb2: Decking looks good and I'm sure the nails would not show at this scale.
Jim

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well this is as far as the decking can go at the moment as I've used all the wood left in the kit for this (they were very generous with wood as it was already fully planked so they nearly give you double what you need) I just hope when the new stuff comes it's similar coloured unlike the last bit (for the waterways which were completely different colours) I realise wood is a natural product so can differ I just hope it's not too much different.

IMG-20191020-26689.jpg
IMG-20191020-19348.jpg

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
If you meed any photos Ken, I tool quite a few when I visited her.
Pete

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks mate, you didn't happen to take any of the cages by the steps leading upto the stern deck did you.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Pleased to be of service Ken! I've a couple of other partial pics, but they don't show anything that one doesn't.
Here's another one to scare you:
P1110323.JPG
How would you fancy climbing that in a storm!
Pete

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ken,
Lovely work on the planking. Those masts must have been terrifying to climb. I remember there used to be a program on telly where the cadets at a RN training base would climb the mast to music and watch the button boy stand on the top.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
One of these Scottie?
HMS Daedalus
or HMS Ganges

I think the BBC used to use the Ganges film as an Interlude in the days when they had such things.
Both scary though, but they're climbing a mast fixed to the land, on a relatively calm day. Imagine climbing in a storm and howling gale, with the ship pitching and rolling - when you get up there you have to drag a rain-soaked heavy sail up onto the spar and lash it. I couldn't do that in a million years.
Pete

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
One of these Scottie?
HMS Daedalus
or HMS Ganges

I think the BBC used to use the Ganges film as an Interlude in the days when they had such things.
Both scary though, but they're climbing a mast fixed to the land, on a relatively calm day. Imagine climbing in a storm and howling gale, with the ship pitching and rolling - when you get up there you have to drag a rain-soaked heavy sail up onto the spar and lash it. I couldn't do that in a million years.
Pete
That's the one

D

Deleted member 3568

Not something I would ever do on a calm sea let alone a stormy one. I doubt nowadays you would not be allowed to, health and safety would have a fit, you would need a harness, safety matting not to mention shin pads and a myriad of other safety wear.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes, how on earth could they climb up there without a hard hat and reflective jacket!
Pete

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well the planks arrived and I was happy the colour was the same but they must have used the other 3mm because these are narrower also they are not 1mm thick either ( not that that matters much once sanded down) I managed to get a knife under a few of the stuck planks and shave some off the inner sides and squashed them together I'm hoping it will be enough so the thinness of the new planks won't notice.

While I was waiting for these planks I planked some of the sides (I must say I'm quite pleased with the results.

I bought a sprung pin pusher for inserting the pins, I intend to drill the holes for the pins first as the ply on the bulkheads is all split and separated from all the pins used to plank it the first time (I would have glued and clamped them but figured it would make them harder and therefore make putting the pins in harder) I think it's all starting to come together.

IMG-20191025-57365.jpg

IMG-20191025-12435.jpg
IMG-20191025-3451.jpg
IMG-20191025-19638.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ken
Glad the decking looks to be ok. I am sure you were right not to glue the splits in the ply - forcing in the pins would have made things worse. You look to have the hull planking sorted. Nice, neat job.
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
What Jim said Ken an I aggree nice job an I cant remember is this goin to be a sailin model or just static ? as to me it looks good enough for it to be a sailin model
chris

D

Deleted member 3568

I would have trouble getting my head round the static rigging let alone thinking about rc and what would happen to the rigging.