AS 189 compressor slow leak

T

TonyBv9

Hi everyone,

I've been away from modelling for a year, but I recently got the urge back and started a nice little Tamiya BF109. My compressor is an AS189, that I bought maybe 2yrs ago from the shop, and it's had only light use.
When I started it up after a year of being stored in the box in my wardrobe, I noticed the sound of air escaping, and the motor kicks in much more frequently to keep pace with the leak. I traced it to the non return valve:

1519833019103.png

A bit of googling points to the solenoid valve, which costs about £10. Any other ideas? It was working perfectly before. Is there a rubber diaphragm or similar that may be dried out?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Tony

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
If it's knackered, try a squirt of WD40 in it, you've nothing to lose!

Pete

First Name
James
On mine i had a slow leak and i found that when id moved it the nut on the tube connecting the compressor to the tank was lose messed with it for 10 amd it stoped just a sugestion

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The same solenoid failed on mine some years ago. Changed it (easy job) and all has been well since then.

T

TonyBv9

HI Colin. Were the symptoms the same when the solenoid failed? I'm not worried about fixing it myself, I just want to make sure I get the right part.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
If it is the solenoid, I have a spare one I will let you have at a good price.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
HI Colin. Were the symptoms the same when the solenoid failed? I'm not worried about fixing it myself, I just want to make sure I get the right part.
It was a while ago, but yes, the air was escaping out of the back. I think you can put your finger over it and feel the air escaping.

T

TonyBv9

Thanks to John at the shop for supplying the spare part at a good price. The compressor works fine again.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Glad that you got it sorted, I find that a lot of leaks can be resolved with either silicon spray, like the stuff you put on car door seals, and PTFT tape.
Silicon spray on rubber gaskets and PTFT tape to re-tighten connections.