At last, MY MOSSIE!

P

Paul1978

Alright people!

Had the day off work today which is a rare treat and plucked up courage to get underway with my Mossie which has been sitting on the shelf for months. I usually build armour but i have always been in awe of the Mossie since i was a young kid. I got back into modelling earlier this year with my intention being to build Tamiya's Mosquito. So far i've been trying to improve my building, painting and weathering skills on other models in preparation for this; this Mossie is a model where i really don't want much to go wrong (of course we can say that about every model :smiling3: )

I had the privilage of previously living slap-bang next to the Dehavilland Aircraft Museum in London Colney (North London) where i was once allowed to sit in it. One day i'll never forget was when i was sitting in my back garden having a BBQ with my family when a Mosquito roared overhead performing some acrobats in recognition of the museum. The display lasted about 10 minutes and the sound of those twin Merlin engines could make any man weak in the legs :smiling3: But sadly, it was this very Mosquito which crashed a little while later at an airshow and hence the Mosquito was laid to rest. However, i was informed this summer that a group in New Zealand are rebuilding one to fly.

Anyway as for the model: I'll kepp a blog like post here to inform people of my progress and get help because i will need it. This is my very first plane so i've been doing a lot of research like watching videos on YouTube.

As you will see in my photos, when i was back in Blighty last summer, i took my young kids to the old Museum and was lucky enough to find an Osprey book on modelling the Mossie. Great help but as i've shown in one of the pics, some areas are not to scale but i'm not experienced enough to make the necessary changes. The instructions (as always with Tamiya) are superb and a camo instruction sheet is provided seperately.

I'll be getting my tools out tomorrow and making a start :smiling3:

Paul:beer:

View attachment 21101

View attachment 21102

View attachment 21103

View attachment 21104

View attachment 21105

View attachment 21106

View attachment 21107

Mossie5.jpg

Mossie1.JPG

Mossie7.jpg

Mossie6.JPG

Mossie4.jpg

Mossie3.JPG

Mossie2.jpg

D

dubster72

Well done for making a start Paul! I'd begun to think this Mossie was just a phantom-oh no, that's another plane! ok a figment of your cold-addled imagination! This one is gonna be good, I've no doubt that you'll do the spirit of de Havilland justice (and the story of how the Mossie came to be built is amazing on it's own!).

You might want to see the post that I'm putting up in a bit-as a tankie, I'm about to start batting for the other side!

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking forward to this one,it was a remarkable airplane. Keep us all posted.

Cheers

Steve

P

Paul1978

Thanks lads. I'll definately keep you informed with the progress.

Battling for the other side, eh, Patrick - sounds interesting ;) But yeah, the history of how the Mossie came about is quite remarkable. The shape is based on a pike that the main designer caught when fishing.

Cheers

Paul

D

dubster72

Well it's not only you who's making an airplane! I didn't know that (!) but it's amazing-I was thinking about what de Havilland had to go through to get the Mosquito approved & into production. Funny how the one's that certain people say will be a failure turn out to be the best & most enduring.

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I haven't checked but couldn't the Mosquito carry half the weight of bombs carried by a B-17? Amazing,and the luftwaffe couldn't catch it.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
ill be watching with interest paul, ive got the fb VI in my to do pile , it really looks a superb bit of moulding.looking forward to some more pics, cheers tony

P

Paul1978

Actually Steve it could carry the SAME weight as a B-17. The bomb bay in the B-17 wasn't huge; all that extra space was tor the hunred or so guns mounted to it :smiling3: And in answer to Tony, the kit seems like a fairly simple one to build especially, like you said, the moulding is superb. But on planes the cock-ups on finishing aren't as forgiving as on armour. That's what worries me.

I'll be looking forward to yours too Patick. And I'm off on Sunday to get your thinners :smiling3:

Paul

F

Fenlander

I would not have the confidence yet to do something like this but I look forward to following you doing it and learning along the line.