Atomic Centurion anybody ?

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Just found this whilst surfing around the net for inspiration....

A testament to British engineering if I've ever seen one..

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
That's quite a tale, sad about the crewmen though.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What a story, and no one gave any thought by all accounts for the safety of the crew awards. Sad as Graeme says.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I suppose at that 'early' stage of atomic research they didn't really understand the hidden dangers. makes you wonder at what point did somebody realise, 'good god!....this is highly dangerous'.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I suppose at that 'early' stage of atomic research they didn't really understand the hidden dangers. makes you wonder at what point did somebody realise, 'good god!....this is highly dangerous'.
Being a 'classical' science fiction reader, think that the realisation came very slowly, and it wasn't until the late '50s that authors were actually putting in place heavy shielding in their 'space ships' - some of those authors actually worked on the Manhattan Project, so should have known about the dangers.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I stumbled across this story a while back over on YouTube. This guy has loads of really interesting story’s that are not often heard about and fast became one of my favourite youtube go to....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting story....though I think at least some of the dangers were known about by then. MarieCurie died pre war and even her cookbooks are kept in lead lined boxes.....
After all, the tank was decontaminated and stored away from the rest of the camp, but only after being transported out. That was probably why the site was thought of as too remote....couldn’t get the techies and decon kit to the site easily....the issue was probably. Very poor pre briefing and lack of understanding at the sharp end.......

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There was very likely also an element of deliberately making unsuspecting people into guinea pigs.