Audi 2009 DTM build

• Thread starter Plastickitbasher
  • Start date
P

Plastickitbasher

Hello all,

It's been a while since I last posted, got a little to bogged down with adding extra detail to builds that I just haven't finished. So I thought it best just to step away for a bit. With that done I'm back lol. I've gone back to cars and jumped from the Tamiya ship to the Revell ship as I do like to watch the DTM races. My first attempt was the Gary Paffet Merc which was coming a long a treat untill the muppet typing this went to clean up the large bonnet decal as there was a blob of softning solution left wiped that away and took a chunk of decal and a bit of paint making it beyond repair. So lesson learnt leave decal solution to dry fully first lol.

So with that all said and done I've started the Audi and I'll get a replacement Paffet merc later.

Sorry forgot to do the start photos as I just got stuck in lol.

For this build I'm going back to basic's no extra detail like carbon fibre decals, no resin extra parts. Just a straight out of the box build and in truth I'm really enjoying it.

Here are a few photo's of what I've done so far.

View attachment 24842

Cockpit tub all built but the rollcage I've made so that I can remove it so that I have better access for painting, also doing it this way the rollcage is all square and straight ready to go back on when the times ready.

View attachment 24843

The engine builds up looking rather nice

View attachment 24844

Rollcage removed and almost finished the paint work.

View attachment 24845

View attachment 24846

Engine all painted and decaled.

More to follow soon.

Admins I've put this in the wrong area it should be in non millitary vehicles sorry lol

View attachment 31155

View attachment 31156

View attachment 31157

View attachment 31158

View attachment 31159

DTM-Audi_001.jpg

DTM-Audi_002.jpg

DTM-Audi_004.jpg

DTM-Audi_003.jpg

DTM-Audi_005.jpg

Last edited:
T

treyzx10r

Too bad about the decal mishap .Great looking mill,what scale is it?

F

Fenlander

Looking good David, never seen engine decals before!!!! I have moved you into the 'Under Construction' section.

P

Plastickitbasher

Ta muchly Graham most kind of you.

Engine sat down rather nicely after some Mr softner.

P

Plastickitbasher

Hello Mr slow montion builder reporting in lol

Firstly sorry for the lack of photo's and updates kinda got carried away with the build and I've been away for work.

Cockpit is now finished and ready to be fixed in place when the chassis has been fully painted.

Part finished.

View attachment 25962

Finished

View attachment 25963View attachment 25964

I gave the exhust pipes a spray coating with Aclad paints.

View attachment 25966

Rear spoiler painted and decaled although there's decals to go on the end plates but with leave that until it's been fixed in place.

View attachment 25967View attachment 25968

chassis, bonnet and body shell are in the shed drying after a second coat of paint.

You never know I might get this one finished in a couple of weekends lol

Enjoy the pics more soon.

Regards

David

View attachment 32070

View attachment 32071

View attachment 32072

View attachment 32074

View attachment 32075

View attachment 32076

DTM-Audi_012.jpg

DTM-Audi_011.jpg

DTM-Audi_010.jpg

DTM-Audi_007.jpg

DTM-Audi_009.jpg

DTM-Audi_008.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely detail there, the harness looks quite amazing. If the rest of the car ends up as good as this it is going to look pretty good.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is looking really impressive. I love the driver's office!

Paul

P

Plastickitbasher

Not very happy with this as I was doing the last decals and found out that the bonnet/front section wouldn't fit correctly as the moulding is not correct in that one side was not vertically straight.

If I were to spray it with a gloss coat to protect the already applied decals. Could I put the bonnet/front section in some warm or hot water and slowly tease it back to the vertical straight?

I'm talking about a 2 or 3mm tease.

I'm so close to the finish on this one and I'd rather not bin it.

Any ideas/tips/sugestions would be very very welcome.

Regards

David

B

Bunkerbarge

You might be able to refloat the decal but it would take a while for the water to get under it again and the adhesive will have set. Don't put a gloss coat on it yet as that will guarrantee it won't budge. You are probably risking a tear as you reposition it so you have to decide on whether it's worth the risk.