Aviation Pub' Names.

W

Wowbagger

Inspired by the chat in another thread about pub names, I wondered just how many interesting aviation related pub names there are.

We have one down the road called The Tiger Moth.

In a nearby village there's one called The Flying Saucer! There's even a flying saucer on a pole outside instead of the usual pub sign. Cool. Wonder if there's a story attached to it?

Then there's The Frank Whittle. (inventor of the jet engine.)

Anymore?

W

wyoming

clue

what do styles mean i dont real;ly get it can some 1 clue me in on that 1 thasnk u :play_ball

W

Wowbagger

STYLES are the colours used to display this forum. Try it for yourself. :wink:

D

duncan

Anybody in the Calshot area know if the "Flying Boat Inn" still exists.

U

Uncivil Serpent

Hi Duncan,

As far as i know it is still there.

Also just across the water at Lee on the Solent we have the Wyvern, although unfortunately the Swordfish has now become a thing of the past.

Chris

D

duncan

Thanks Chris, For seaplane fans its worth the trip to see the photos of the Schnieder Trophy contenders,pilots and planes. I was speaking to an older local who remembers "a captured German 6 engined flying-boat" at Calshot Spit RAF base during or just after WW11. Wonder what that was ? While not a "pub" the canteen at North Weald airfield is also a shrine with pictures and medals of the aces who flew out of this airfield. You can also rub shoulders with todays display pilots and owners of privately owned warbirds on some days. Cant remember where the "Harrier" pub is.

U

Uncivil Serpent

I forgot to mention the Scimitar's at Stubbington just down the road from here.

As for the Harrier, not sure on that but could be close to RNAS Yeovilton do you think?

Chris