AZ Models 1:72 Supermarine Attacker

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Hi all.

This is going to be my first 'build-a-long' so I apologise in advance for any misdemeanors or other such occurrences.

I am going to tackle this as it is the Royal Navy's first front line jet fighter and as such seems like a mandatory addition to the collection.
I also really like it's simple 'of its era' look, that somehow carries some of the propeller era charm.

I picked up the kit from a local model shop on the same day I went to restock all my paints. I only had the phantom in the stash at that point and on spying this on the shelf I felt I had to have it.

Here's an overall shot of the box contents.

IMG_1255.JPG

Only three sprues, including the canopy, and only two pages of instructions. Not many parts which is another reason I selected this as my next victim. The phantom had something like 8 sprues and nearly 300 decals, so the appeal is in the simplicity this time around.

The cockpit tub and seat are supplied in a one piece resin casting.

IMG_1256.JPG

It's hard to see why they'd do this as the detail isn't what you'd expect from aftermarket resin parts. That said, the cockpit is tiny so visibility will be limited anyway.
The supplied cockpit is a one piece and closed so I bought some vacform options so I could open it up. This also had absolutely nothing to do with the destruction of the phantom canopies...

IMG_1259.JPG

Here are some sprue close ups.

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

Evidence that the moulds are old with quite a lot of extra plastic. Nothing compared to the Revell Wessex I have in the stash though!

I also picked up some aftermarket decals and intend to represent this as an F.1 of 803, HMS Eagle.

IMG_1260.JPG

Thanks for viewing and look forward to your feedback.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
I was looking at this model the other week - I decided not to buy one - I still have my Sea Venom, Sea Hawk, Sea Vixen in the stash - not to mention the Gannet AS.
The Attacker had a bad reputation as an airfield destroyer - one of the consequences of it being one of the few jet tail draggers!
Any thoughts on how you are going to display it?
Dave

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Now you mention it, I had considered something similar.

Currently the space for my displayed models is a bookshelf, and I wondered about making the surface of the shelf resemble a carrier deck. Useful since all my models are FAA themed, I only need one surface!

Thanks for the suggestion Dave!

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Made a start on the prep of the cockpit and fuselage parts.
Did I say this would be quick? I don't think so judging by the first stages! The plastic is good to work with. Sturdy and hard, not like the Airfix plastic at all which is a little soft.

Here's the first part off the sprue; the control stick. Spot the difference....
IMG_1272.JPG

There's no grip ring on the molded part. What a good start!

I also noticed there should be a second canopy, part C1. Glad I bought those vacforms because C1 is the F.1 canopy!

Out with the saw and on with the scratchery. A little sprue seems to have done the trick.

IMG_1273.JPG

Next was the control panel. The moulded part looked ok on first inspection but close up it was terrible. So I got the drills out, tidied up the instruments and generally cleaned it up.
Pencil rubber for scale.

IMG_1274.JPG

I intend to experiment with a little Kristal Klear with this to see if I can improve it at all.

Next I got to cleaning the fuselage halves. Again, not good close up. Lots of obstructions along the seams and no locating pins, so I got out the wet & dry and gently levelled the joining faces.

IMG_1276.JPG

I then took a look at the intakes. Ugh.

IMG_1275.JPG

Once these were cleaned up I positioned the intake blanks and found the terrible fit of parts was consistent.

IMG_1277.JPG

I'll get that closed up before I splurge some paint into the intakes before I put the cowls on.

That's it for the next week or so, I'm off on a little holiday.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
OK, it needs a little work to get it right, but aren't they the really satisfying builds ? I'm just completing my second 'vintage' Airfix in a row. I'm not sure if it's a feeling of triumph or relief at the end !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
these short run kits can be very good, or VERY bad, but with a lot of subjects they're the only game in town! I'm getting more interested in the more obscure aircraft of the 50's & 60's, so names like Valom, Arma Hobby, MPM, Modelsvit are beginning to figure more in my searches.
Currently still on the lookout for a 1/72 Scimitar ( to make, not collect ), and now looking for a Blackburn Firebrand TF IV...............................
I'll get them, in the end - I have patience!
Dave

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
OK, it needs a little work to get it right, but aren't they the really satisfying builds ?

They can be! There is a definite correlation between build difficulty and satisfaction!

...but with a lot of subjects they're the only game in town!

Absolutely right! Obtaining an obscure aircraft model is exciting, but also terrifying since the quality can be variable, as you say.

Currently still on the lookout for a 1/72 Scimitar ( to make, not collect ), and now looking for a Blackburn Firebrand TF IV...............................

When I looked for a scimitar, there’s a resin kit (c. £60) or the xtrakit injection set, which I got on ebay second hand. Frustrating because I think it captures the philosophy of the era nicely in it’s lines and should be more popular.
A firebrand would be nice. Alongside a decent seafire and sea hurricane.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've seen the resin model - very nice, but the price! I'd be scared to touch it, for fear of making a mess of it. I'd rather have 3 or 4 other models for the same cost.............
Dave

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I've seen the resin model - very nice, but the price! I'd be scared to touch it, for fear of making a mess of it. I'd rather have 3 or 4 other models for the same cost.............
Dave

SAME!

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Back from hols and keen to get on with this, so got an hour or so bench time without the kids interrupting me.

Painting the exhaust. This is only 6mm across, so painted in real steel and left at that.

IMG_1366.JPG

Assembled the exhaust and dry fitted. Not good, as evidenced in these above and below shots.

IMG_1367.JPG
IMG_1368.JPG

The problem is the quality of the internal casting and the consistency of the mould thickness.

IMG_1369.JPG

Since the exhaust is a cylinder, I think I am going to close the fuselage, tidy up the exhaust manifolds and then use a half round needle file or a make a matching diameter file to bore out the fuselage to get a better exhaust fit.

I also finished the cockpit tub which has the seat integrated. I even tried out a bit of a watercolour wash, which I'm happy with. I added a throttle stick and took a couple of liberties with the buttons and added a bit of colour to try to bring out the detail a little.

IMG_1371.JPG

Here's a scale shot against my thumb.

IMG_1372.JPG

The last thing I am waiting on is the control panel, which I've added Kristal Klear to the dials. Once this is dry I'll dry brush gently and assemble everything.

IMG_1373.JPG

It looks horrid in the close ups, but is so small it's not noticeable (lolly stick is 9mm across).

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
This morning I looked to get the fuselage together, so I lightly glued the instrument panel and the tub in to one half to test fit the fuselage halves.
There is a significant lack of helpful location on either the kit (i.e. none!) or in the instructions, so I went for roughly align the panel with the end of the tub consoles.

IMG_1376.JPG

The tub is clearly far too wide!

IMG_1377.JPG
IMG_1378.JPG

Out it came and I took a flat needle file to the sides of the tub and achieved a much better fit.
However, there is a significant vertical difference in the size of the fuselage halves and I've ended up with a decent step.

IMG_1379.JPG
IMG_1380.JPG

I'll tackle this once the glue is dry.

Next was looking at the wings. I popped them off the sprue and there is still a significant amount of cleaning up to be done. Thankfully this is a process I quite enjoy!

IMG_1381.JPG

I expected the fit to be terrible, but after I cleaned up the sprue remnants the fit was actually pretty good, so I glued them together, deciding the flash clean up would be easier with the wings assembled.

IMG_1382.JPG

That's it for now. Next up: fuselage and wing clean up.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
the joys of short run models! I leave the glue well alone until I've dry fitted and adjusted things for 'best' fit. It can help to add plastic card strips to aid location in fuselages. I go back to the old method ( from making vacforms ) by having a sheet of wet & dry on a thick piece of flat board, and sanding component faces square ( use wet, less dust! ) - I even do this on mainstream models occasionally, if needed, removing location tabs/pins in the process.
Dave

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
The issue here is I didn’t dry fit properly, so had to rectify a painted tub, which is why the precision of the needle file was useful.
Good tips though! Measure twice, cut once....