AZ Models 1:72 Supermarine Attacker

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Top marks Chris. I'm sure many of these kits have ended up in the bin. But not yours.....
It very nearly did!
It’s all good practice. You don’t learn anything useful if things are easy.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I gave up on the build thread for this. Mainly because it was summer time and being outdoors at the beach or at the allotment was a better use of my time!

Plus this kit was totally demoralising. It is roughly 30% filler, particularly at the wing roots and fuselage joints. Nothing fitted correctly, even the arrestor hook and the undercarriage doors are totally the wrong shape. Just as well I was going for wheels down.
When I tried to mount the rear wheels I found there was just a hole in the fuselage and nothing to mount the gear to, so I had to scratch a wheel well. I ended up scratching the pitot and other sensors. They are grossly out of scale but I just wanted to get this one finished and move on.

I will be avoiding AZ kits like the plague from now on, unless I have no other option.

The results, next to the one my grandfather built (date unknown, suspect 60's).IMG-2329.jpg
IMG-2330.jpg
IMG-2331.jpg
IMG-2332.jpg
IMG-2333.jpg
IMG-2334.jpg

I preshaded and washed this one, my first attempt at it. I'm pretty happy with the result.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
lChris,
you finished it! I'm afraid most of my stalled builds stay stalled. One way of looking at it is - if you can make a decent job of a rubbish model, then everything else must be easier! Don't give up on the short run kits, you can learn all sorts of things, new techniques, new swear words and new ways of reducing tension ( zen meditation/alcohol ) :thumb2:
Dave

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Some kits can be a real pain Chris, I like how it turned out though, you made the best of a bad kit :thumb2:
Have a nice day,
Steven

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks chaps! I certainly repeated a few old and learned a few new combinations of swear words!

Time to check the GB timescales and crack on with my childhood favourite.