B-17F Memphis Belle 1:48

First Name
Steve
Just taken delivery of a future project, Revell’s B-17F.
Thought I try a biggy in size 49.4 x 65.6mm, To be honest I’m a bit disappointed with the kit, thought it would be harder and fiddly. It’s going to be a good painting exercise and plenty of room to practice weathering.
My mind will probably change once I get into it.
One question guys, when painting camouflage on models, brush or airbrush?
Steve.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm an airbrush guy personally but there are some on here, Ron in particular, that get stunning results with a hairy brush.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great choice but big. When my wife brought home the Revell 1/48 Mitchell I didn’t realize how huge that thing was but there nice kits. As for as Camo I hand paint with Acrylics

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just taken delivery of a future project, Revell’s B-17F.
Thought I try a biggy in size 49.4 x 65.6mm, To be honest I’m a bit disappointed with the kit, thought it would be harder and fiddly. It’s going to be a good painting exercise and plenty of room to practice weathering.
My mind will probably change once I get into it.
One question guys, when painting camouflage on models, brush or airbrush?
Steve.
It’s the old Monogram kit from the 60’s so it won’t be up to todays standards for detail, fit and engineering. That said it’s not a bad kit of it’s time at all and it should be a fun build. There is an excellent new tool, modern 1/48 B17 kit available from HKM if you really want a more detailed and complex build (as well as a 1/32 B17…. Now that is a big one..)

I would really recommend an airbrush but it is a significant investment, not just money, but also time to master it.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
There is an excellent new tool, modern 1/48 B17 kit available from HKM if you really want a more detailed and complex build (as well as a 1/32 B17…. Now that is a big one..)
Yes it is lovely granted. But they could buy the Revell kit AND an airbrush including paints and other tools to practice on it with for the price of the HKM kit.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yes it is lovely granted. But they could buy the Revell kit AND an airbrush including paints and other tools to practice on it with for the price of the HKM kit.
It’s the old Monogram kit from the 60’s so it won’t be up to todays standards for detail, fit and engineering. That said it’s not a bad kit of it’s time at all and it should be a fun build. There is an excellent new tool, modern 1/48 B17 kit available from HKM if you really want a more detailed and complex build (as well as a 1/32 B17…. Now that is a big one..)

I would really recommend an airbrush but it is a significant investment, not just money, but also time to master it.
Both have their merits depending on the individuals priorities, budget and skill level.
Both can be enjoyable too.
I have the Monogram kit so it depends on whether I want to spend time to whip it up to present standards or buy a HKM kit and just build leisurely.

Cheers,
Richard

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony

Its not the Monogram kit but a revell original tooling from around 1980 . Its nowhere near as detailed as the ( older ) Monogram B17 G , having no interior apart from the cockpit ( the Monogram had a full length interior including bomb bay ) . Its not a bad kit if you just want to build a big B17 and arent too bothered about interior or open bomb bays but it isnt the most modern of toolings .