BA -20 1/35 Scale Russian Armoured Car by Hobby Boss

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Carrying on with the next Armoured car in the set.

IMG_4935.JPG:surprised::flushed::smiling3:

Sprues .

IMG_4936.JPG

Someone I know will like this painting suggestion !!!!

IMG_4937.JPG

Like the Lidl advert I prefer the.

IMG_4938.JPG

The BA-20 armored car was developed in 1934 for use by HQ staffs, reconnaissance and communications units. In common with most armored cars derived from cars, the BA-20 was largely roadbound.
The tires were designed to be resistant to bullets by filling them with spongy rubber. A variant, the BA-20 ZhD, could travel on railway lines by replacing the normal wheels with flanged metal rail-type wheels, another interesting one to build !
The lack of all-wheel drive, high ground pressure and low power prevented it from moving cross-country except on very firm ground. The protection was too thin to stop anything other than fragments or small-arms fire, and the 7.62 mm machine gun was not adequate to penetrate other scout vehicles.

Based on the GAZ-M1 car for the chassis, in turn a modified Ford design.

With a top speed of 56 km/h from its Gaz M1 50 hp and weighing in at 2.27 tonnes
The armour was pitifully thin at between 6 and 9 mm , so useless against any heaver rounds

The BA-20 was used in the invasion of Poland 1939 and the Winter against Finland between 1939-40] as well as the early stages of Barbarossa in 1941. A total No of 4,800 BA-20s were constructed.

Decide to use Hobby Boss range as recommended by Dave Ward :thumb2: for this group of models, and what a change from the PARC, parts that actually fit the location holes , most with our redrilling. :flushed: :surprised:---:smiling3:

Took some time looking at the first section of the engine, and built it up in short sessions allowing the glue to dry before carrying on, this time the fan belt went on with out snapping as has happened before.

IMG_4943.JPG

This was the stage around 1600. today.

IMG_4947.JPG

Hope you will join and follow along, no doubt there will be much merriment and the normal abuse and banter ! One of life's free things.

Tickets from the normal agent .
Mrs Jones ticket agency,
c/o " Rivet " Jones
Devon .

John

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Dude 2, you sure don't waste any time here do you... Ain't even finished one and on to two. Ain't finished two and on to number three. There is just no hope for ya!!! Wanna see what you do here buddy…………………..

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Afternoon Mr Race,

I got my entrance ticket from an odd looking man wandering up and down the street wearing JUST Wellingtons :flushed: ....is that Steve:thinking:
Looks like he was adding extra details to the neighbours car with a pritt stick and milk bottle tops:smiling5:!

Anyway I’m here now, probably best to lock the door.....keep the rabble out, oh hang on, there’s another odd looking chap over in the corner....don’t make eye contact!

Right.....anyway, looks like a quick build:thumb2: carry on:smiling4:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hey Dude 2, you sure don't waste any time here do you... Ain't even finished one and on to two. Ain't finished two and on to number three. There is just no hope for ya!!! Wanna see what you do here buddy…………………..
I know Dude1 but with things having to dry I want to get on.:nerd:
Might be a big slow down when its get technical :disappointed:.

Afternoon Mr Race,

I got my entrance ticket from an odd looking man wandering up and down the street wearing JUST Wellingtons :flushed: ....is that Steve:thinking:
Looks like he was adding extra details to the neighbours car with a pritt stick and milk bottle tops:smiling5:!

Anyway I’m here now, probably best to lock the door.....keep the rabble out, oh hang on, there’s another odd looking chap over in the corner....don’t make eye contact!

Right.....anyway, looks like a quick build:thumb2: carry on:smiling4:

Yes that sounds like a fair description of Mr Jones .
The other odd looking chap is me !
Thanks guys, now this model has rubber tyres I' m I right in thinking they are subject to decay and should be replaced ?

Answers please , and don't anyone suggest I mould my own, I have enough trouble with tracks and suspensions to contend with. :smiling5:
Off for the rest of that pie !!!!
John.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
It all depends on what you plan on doing with it in the end. I can't vouch for the material Hobby Boss uses for the tires, but for Italeri and Takom, resin replacements are the answer. I would look for resin tires at a cheap price by John or on evilbay. I'll look for you too Dude 2.

Damn, I thought I was the other dude in the room Si, not John...…………….

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes please do Dude1, I had a search and the answer was Nil,some resin wheels,but couldn't understand if it meant a set of 4 or for 1 .
BA-20 Road wheels (Jaroslavskij Zavod No1) / 1:35
Manufacturer: Panzer Art
Article number: PARE35508
Star rating( 0 )

11,40 €
Price incl. VAT excl. Shipping costs
Quantity Available:
only 1 piece left

x
Add to cart

Available from stock.
Shipped every working day

Did this mean I set or one wheel think I'd need 5 .!
Confused Dude 2.
Having seen their shipping charges think I'll stick with the kit ones !

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
John, Panzer Art are cheap with their sets. You get only the wheels for the vehicle and no spare tire. I got 6 in the set for both of my Hanomags with no spare tire. I will do some research and see what I can get for you Buddy. I know where you Live...…….

Oh, and you need 6 as this car had 2 spares according to the pics…..

• Wow

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, Panzer Art are cheap with their sets. You get only the wheels for the vehicle and no spare tire. I got 6 in the set for both of my Hanomags with no spare tire. I will do some research and see what I can get for you Buddy. I know where you Live...…….

Oh, and you need 6 as this car had 2 spares according to the pics…..
Thanks Allen .
Hi John
Count me in. I enjoy your threads - they attract such interesting people :tongue-out3:
Jim
Mmm I know :tongue-out2::upside:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'm on lunch break at the moment so I will comment later. In the meantime time if you are going to build a series of these armoured cars then what does the BA stand for please??

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm on lunch break at the moment so I will comment later. In the meantime time if you are going to build a series of these armoured cars then what does the BA stand for please??
Steve. Bronirovaniy Avtomobil, Russian for armoured car
John, relaxing at home. :tongue-out3:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Cheers mate.
Steve, just finished work and on his way home

• Haha

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
You were on about the wheels/tyres earlier. Hussar do a set which might work for you HERE
I used them for my BA-6 - you get a lot in the pack. I still have a couple left. Delivery was quick.

P1040268.JPG

Better than the ones in my Eastern Express kit
P1040314.JPG

P1040335.JPG

Needed a bit of bodging to make them fit
P1040336.JPG

Looked fine in the end
P1040475.JPG

Jim

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Well I have finally arrived on parade. Looks like the rabble are helping you out with the wheel problems. It looks a wonderful subject to build

Now as for the camo I'm afraid green just wont do. It has to be the full camo with winter whitewash for me.

ba-10-winter.jpg

I know banished to the back rows and a red card for heckling.:smiling3:

Seriously mate I wish you all the best. Its gonna be a stunner

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Dude 2,

I had to do some checking as I wasn't familiar with the HB kit. You really only need 4 wheels as the spare is encased in a holder in the back. I have a couple of sets that I found including the one you posted. I will check availability and get back to you.

• Love

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
You were on about the wheels/tyres earlier. Hussar do a set which might work for you HERE
I used them for my BA-6 - you get a lot in the pack. I still have a couple left. Delivery was quick.

View attachment 337713

Better than the ones in my Eastern Express kit
View attachment 337714

View attachment 337715

Needed a bit of bodging to make them fit
View attachment 337716

Looked fine in the end
View attachment 337717

Jim
Thanks Jim, they look good and so does the last photo, I ve never seen that before either ?
Shall bare those in mind, but will wait until Allen comes back to me .

Well I have finally arrived on parade. Looks like the rabble are helping you out with the wheel problems. It looks a wonderful subject to build

Now as for the camo I'm afraid green just wont do. It has to be the full camo with winter whitewash for me.

View attachment 337804

I know banished to the back rows and a red card for heckling.:smiling3:

Seriously mate I wish you all the best. Its gonna be a stunner
Oh no Steve, are you trying to send me over the edge :disappointed::smiling3: mind you the winter wash would hide all my mistakes, don't think I would use the Panzer Putty either, thought it gave a too harder line. That was no doubt caused by the spray angle.

Hi Dude 2,

I had to do some checking as I wasn't familiar with the HB kit. You really only need 4 wheels as the spare is encased in a holder in the back. I have a couple of sets that I found including the one you posted. I will check availability and get back to you.

Thanks buddy, very kind of you.:thumb2:

John aka Dude 2 and other's !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just mentioning the offer from Allen I must also mention Mike C who has very kindly offered to cast me some spares. Ive pm'd back . Cheers Mike . :thumb2:

Meanwhile at the bench some steady progress has been made, only one flyer, even had my catch all on when I was removing a very small part to go on the springs, it has just disappeared, i've search the bench, the floor, shirt , socks, slippers, even swept up . Nothing , just disappeared, whats the betting that it turns up after this has been built !

IMG_4959.JPG

As the wheels and tyres are consultation with the experts I decided to have a go with adding to the seats, I think Paul mentioned this this using a microporous tape . Had great fun applying the tape and trimming

:smiling3:
IMG_4959.jpg S1.jpg

Not too bothered about the odd tear, looks a bit more worn. I also had a go at reducing the thickness of that gear change, it looked about 3 times the size, mind you the plastic would have been so thin.

IMG_4961.JPG
Got as far as this with the axles.
Below on the bottom right you can see the part that is missing from the other leaf.

IMG_4961.jpg S2.jpg

As most of this is hidden I shall have to make cut a small section of plastic strip if needed for support.

That's it for now only other thing to report is this .

IMG_4958.JPG

Turned up on the base of the Stalingrad diorama, Management said its been there for several days !

Mmmm I see .

John.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Nice update mate. The scratched bracket will be a breeze for a man of your talents. Nice work on the seat covers.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Looking good. I like the seats. As soon as you scratch the missing spring hanger the original will turn up.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice update mate. The scratched bracket will be a breeze for a man of your talents. Nice work on the seat covers.
That's very kind Mr Jones, its so small I couldn't pick it up at times let alone scratch one. !
Hi John
Looking good. I like the seats. As soon as you scratch the missing spring hanger the original will turn up.
Jim
Yes spot on there Jim, I lost one of the u bolts earlier and found it on the bench about a foot away from where I was working, I think plastic has powers of flight ! enjoyed the seat covering, at least they will have some texture

Thanks John.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Up date on the BA20

Managed quite well to day, only had a short time at bench.

IMG_4967_1.jpg C1.jpg

IMG_4968.jpgC2.jpg

Last one with the exhaust fitted, quite fiddly for me after several attempts I managed to get the pipes through the chassis and glued.

John.

Attachments

• IMG_4967_1.JPG
    IMG_4967_1.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4969.jpgC4.jpg
    IMG_4969.jpgC4.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 4

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Looking very nice mate you certainly have a passion for this Russian armour.