BA -20 1/35 Scale Russian Armoured Car by Hobby Boss

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
Just caught up on your build. All coming together well, lots of detail to show....
Decal lifting could be down to acrylic varnish not dry enough. I had this happen when the water from the decal softener softened the varnish, it did sink back.
Needle, roll the end on a sheet of thick plastic and under a steel rule usually bends the tip back into shape...
And next time use a hammer to pin the spider to the floor.....
Cheers, Mike.
Hi Mike , yes I did sort out the needle and forgot to say, used the two block of wood, I said two block of wood not bricks ! No camel was injured in this. :smiling3:
Yes agree, the varnish was not completely dry.

No not on a spider l've always wanted a pet
But Mrs R has vetoed the idea, so that was the end of that . :cold-sweat:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike , yes I did sort out the needle and forgot to say, used the two block of wood, I said two block of wood not bricks ! No camel was injured in this. :smiling3:
Yes agree, the varnish was not completely dry.

No not on a spider l've always wanted a pet
View attachment 341175
But Mrs R has vetoed the idea, so that was the end of that . :cold-sweat:
That's not a spider ....... This is a spider.....
spider3.jpg
Commonly known as the Camel spider, a real carnivore, injects it's victim with anesthetic and then eats its prey. We had these in Aden, used to live on the camels, one decided to eat away one guys cheek during the night - horrible things - the bootlace snakes and scorpions we could take, but not these, could grow to about 12 inches.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's not a spider ....... This is a spider.....
View attachment 341242
Commonly known as the Camel spider, a real carnivore, injects it's victim with anesthetic and then eats its prey. We had these in Aden, used to live on the camels, one decided to eat away one guys cheek during the night - horrible things - the bootlace snakes and scorpions we could take, but not these, could grow to about 12 inches.
Ah had heard of these beasties, now that is a nasty looking thing Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Looking good. I think we have all been a little impatient when it comes to waiting for paint/varnish to dry. Dry to the touch but under the 'skin' things are still soft. Wheels do look good.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
Looking good. I think we have all been a little impatient when it comes to waiting for paint/varnish to dry. Dry to the touch but under the 'skin' things are still soft. Wheels do look good.
Jim
Hi Jim, very true, and bet I do it again .:smiling2: yes pleased with the wheels, and not hard to fit as I has expected.
John,
Looking good matey.
Sorry Paul I didn't reply until now I just missed it, but thanks for looking in.
John.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did some winter camo, thinking it was mostly splashed on with a large bush or even a broom so I've done the finish quite rough. I used some Precision Ice and Snow mostly, but tried a little Vallejo washable to see it there is any noticeable difference. The PI & S is a little more grainer than Vallejo. I can see where the Vallejo is , it appears to have a fuller coverage, but both seem ok.

Next will be another varnish coat, then a little oil weathering, I say little as there will be snow on the dio so that will cover much .

IMG_20190517_094851772.jpg

IMG_20190517_094931749.jpg

IMG_20190517_094924343.jpgIMG_20190517_094924343.jpg

IMG_20190517_094941272.jpg

Those steps will of course have snow on them with footprints, it will be in the lower areas where the weathering will be done, mud guards , and the like.

Thanks for following and the comments, any hints welcome.

John.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Coming along nicely John. I find the waiting for various stages to take effect very difficult to deal with, myself. Looking forward to the denouement (the phone picked that word so I went with it :anguished: )
Cheers
Neil

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Just caught up John and a good looking little A/C it has become. :thumb2:

Neat whitewash, good luck with the next weathering steps.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
I'm liking that.
Jim
Cheers Jim.
Just caught up John and a good looking little A/C it has become. :thumb2:

Neat whitewash, good luck with the next weathering steps.
Thanks Fernando glad it's being received well.
Like a lot John

Did you get the info ref the tubing??

Bob
Hi Bob, thanks, yes I have posted on your thread. Think it's worth a punt, like I said it would be used every where it just looks so right .:smiling3:
Thanks guys .

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice winter camo John I think you’ve got me addicted to the winter camo I’m glad you and Steve pushed me to try it

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice winter camo John I think you’ve got me addicted to the winter camo I’m glad you and Steve pushed me to try it
Lee thank you, glad you like doing it, Steve has been trying to convert every one to either Winter Camo or a 3 part camo. At least this time he let me off with just the winter version. :smiling:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi John,

Blimey that’s a proper field applied white wash! I’ve seen many a picture of white wash slapped on but never been brave enough to try it...I’m sure it will tone down with further steps :thumb2:

Interesting to see how this goes.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi John,

Blimey that’s a proper field applied white wash! I’ve seen many a picture of white wash slapped on but never been brave enough to try it...I’m sure it will tone down with further steps :thumb2:

Si
I was the same way. I just thin down some flat white acrylic paint and when to work it’s pretty fun after you get started

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John
I’m going to try a 3 tone camo on a P47 Thunderbolt one day soon I’m building up the nerves to it as we speak

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John,

Hi Si
When Dzhon was told to apply winter wash he grabbed the nearest yard brush and slapped it one not wanting to fall foul with the Commissioner and end up in a penal battalion.
Think should tone down when the weathering and light covering if snow, failing that U shall set fire to it.:tongue-out3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John
I’m going to try a 3 tone camo on a P47 Thunderbolt one day soon I’m building up the nerves to it as we speak
Good for you Lee, go for it, plenty of research on here and Y tube should help. I used some of that Panser Putty, but gave a very hard line, due to the angle of spray. Can't see you haveing much of a problem.