BA -20 1/35 Scale Russian Armoured Car by Hobby Boss

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good morning UK put your in time zone in anywhere else :smiling5:
Because the weather has been so good naturally I've been in the garden

Done some on the BA20 and the other one that's not mentioned!
Put the heads on two of them last night, who else thinks the guy in the right looks like Putin
IMG_20190525_094037505.jpg

The officer is missing his arms, there's some great detail on his tunic which if I fit the arms I'll never be able to paint later.IMG_20190525_094050473.jpg
IMG_20190525_094224364.jpg

IMG_20190525_094238687.jpg

IMG_20190525_094037505.jpgIMG_20190525_094050473.jpgIMG_20190525_094224364.jpgIMG_20190525_094238687.jpgIMG_20190525_094250543.jpgIMG_20190525_094257718.jpg
IMG_20190525_094326672.jpgIMG_20190525_094329500.jpg

I've done a small base as can been seen 15587746836348712571021775651301.jpg
Oil washes done, no point in doing a lot as the snow will cover much .

Off back in to the garden
15587748043785593145085197598011.jpg
1558774949191163674586448862413.jpg
Until lunch time then too hot.
Back later .
John

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_094238687.jpg
    IMG_20190525_094238687.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20190525_094257718.jpg
    IMG_20190525_094257718.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Nice garden John.
I think that figure looks like Putin's father!
Pete

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice garden John.
I think that figure looks like Putin's father!
Pete
Thanks Pete, south facing so great for sun loving plants.
Unfortunately for us gets too hot midday, we have to retire to the shade .
John .

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Back again, just fired up the H& S Infinity, to see how it compares to my normal H&S ultra.

Mixed some primer with the correct amount of Vallejo flow improver No 71-562 and some thinners.
Having played with locking system where it stops you from opening right up I gave the 3 figures some white, mainly from the top,followed by some grey from the bottom.
Seems ok, the AB is superb with the flow rate, will use this again when doing the next armour.
IMG_20190525_172608372.jpg

IMG_20190525_172633820.jpg
IMG_20190525_172654851.jpg
Right back to the garden ! Plants to place.
Thanks for looking in, C& C welcome
John Percy Dzhon Race

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looking good John I just put out my garden last weekend I’ve been fighting rain storms don’t know if it’s going to make it

• Sad
D

Deleted member 7181

Back again, just fired up the H& S Infinity, to see how it compares to my normal H&S ultra.

An Infinity is definitely on my "want" list, although very far from my "need" list. As a huge Iwata fan I should be looking at something like a HP-B or BS, but H&S do seem to have the edge in the airbrush market, especially with the easy maintenance and interchangeability of parts.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good John I just put out my garden last weekend I’ve been fighting rain storms don’t know if it’s going to make it
Nothing worse than losing plants lee, frost is our worst threat earlier in the month. Hope all survives.

John,
Nice garden mate. The figures are coming on very nicely.

Thanks Paul.
An Infinity is definitely on my "want" list, although very far from my "need" list. As a huge Iwata fan I should be looking at something like a HP-B or BS, but H&S do seem to have the edge in the airbrush market, especially with the easy maintenance and interchangeability of parts.
Hi Andy, thank you, decided to treat myself a year or so ago. Needs to be used to get to get the feel. I find both the H& S's very easy to strip. I soon have the tip off, remove the jet,and needle , plonk in those parts in the Ultra Sonic cleaner, along with the paint cup. Stick the head of the ab in the tank, wash out the inlet where the bowl goes, dry it and make sure the tip is clean. Its crap in the tip that causes all the problems, but since I used the Vallejo flow improver No 71-562 its reduced it.

Looking the business John !

Thanks Bob, not a StuG I know but its fun .

John.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning John,

Figures and garden looking very nice :thumb2: Just reading the conversation about H&S airbrushes, been thinking of upgrading myself. Been using my Iwata for 8yrs and I’d like to try spraying with different needle sizes but it’s a lot of money if I don’t get a better result:thinking:

Anyway....Who would of thought Prince Charles and Putin would be hooning about in an armoured car:smiling5:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hi Andy, thank you, decided to treat myself a year or so ago. Needs to be used to get to get the feel. I find both the H& S's very easy to strip. I soon have the tip off, remove the jet,and needle , plonk in those parts in the Ultra Sonic cleaner, along with the paint cup. Stick the head of the ab in the tank, wash out the inlet where the bowl goes, dry it and make sure the tip is clean. Its crap in the tip that causes all the problems, but since I used the Vallejo flow improver No 71-562 its reduced it.
What fluid do you use in the ultrasonic John? I have an ultrasonic cleaner but I've heard some horror stories about them removing the plating from airbrushes so haven't used it for the Infinity. I have some jewellery cleaner, which removed the black finish on my watch bracelet. :disappointed2:

Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
The white wash looks fine. The figures you have worked on really fit their positions well. Good idea to spray white and grey, top and bottom. You might even get away with black from below. Glad you like the H&S infinity - I love mine although thinking about Si's comment I don't think it sprays better than my Iwata but I do like the ease of cleaning and the needle pull back limiter thingy.
I don't use my ultra sonic cleaner ofter but I find warm water and a good squirt of Medea AB cleaner works fine.
Lovely garden. You must be a real plants man.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well done mate. This is all heading in the right direction. When I look at the figures I'm reminded of my dad dancing when out on the town :smiling5:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice garden JR. The pond looks a little over stocked...I'll get me rod & reel!! Lol
Your Ivan's are looking good! Tell comrade Putin to keep his muddy boots off the fenders please!
Cheers, Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
dont know about Putin but the guy on the left looks like Prince Charles.....look at the tab 'ole on him :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy:
Paul, I think these sculptors have a bet with each other to see who can get away with it .!:smiling2:
All looking good John :smiling3:.
Thanks Ralph ..
Morning John,

Figures and garden looking very nice :thumb2: Just reading the conversation about H&S airbrushes, been thinking of upgrading myself. Been using my Iwata for 8yrs and I’d like to try spraying with different needle sizes but it’s a lot of money if I don’t get a better result:thinking:

Anyway....Who would of thought Prince Charles and Putin would be hooning about in an armoured car:smiling5:
Si, always good to have your input, now this AB, quite frankly I can see no difference apart from the head where the needle is exposed, but protected by those outer two pointed fins
41wU3HRreuL.jpg
And the ability to lock the amount of trigger movement . Other than that it's exactly the same as the Ultra.
In my case the needle in the Ultra is still slightly bent so must effect the flow. Would I buy this again ,yes,wish I had bought it first !
The best thing about this make is ability to strip it quickly .
As for needle sizes, I think it's worth getting some.. The Ultra came with two sizes ,.2 and .4 ,where as the other came with .2 .and .1.5 .
The .4 is great for large areas where you need to get the paint on quickly, diorama bases, and for primers. Normally I think the .2 is the standard one preferred by most people. And the .1.5 for very detailed work .I have never used that one yet!

What fluid do you use in the ultrasonic John? I have an ultrasonic cleaner but I've heard some horror stories about them removing the plating from airbrushes so haven't used it for the Infinity. I have some jewellery cleaner, which removed the black finish on my watch bracelet. :disappointed2:

Pete, I've read that as well, talk about stripping chrome off paint cups and ruining seals. Modern seals are unaffected by normal A B cleaning fluids, a lot of paint cups do loose their surface quite quickly as the chrome is not a thick coating .
I've used, Medea AB ,like Jim, VMS concentrate, making my own mix as required , recently I've been using car windscreen wash but ammonia free with an added drop of washing up liquid ! Stick all the small parts in the tray, set it the 360 seconds I .remove the needle after a few seconds and carefully wipe it in a forward mention . When I remove the small nozzle I slide the needle tip through, removing any crud. Lastly I apply a coating of Iwata lube. Lastly I slide the needle in from the front , so the tip never goes in from the back .
Hi John
The white wash looks fine. The figures you have worked on really fit their positions well. Good idea to spray white and grey, top and bottom. You might even get away with black from below. Glad you like the H&S infinity - I love mine although thinking about Si's comment I don't think it sprays better than my Iwata but I do like the ease of cleaning and the needle pull back limiter thingy.
I don't use my ultra sonic cleaner ofter but I find warm water and a good squirt of Medea AB cleaner works fine.
Lovely garden. You must be a real plants man.
Jim
Jim hi, thank you , yes I agree about the Infinity, as I said to Si.
Oh the garden, it's our pride and joy, we spend many happy hours tinkering .

Well done mate. This is all heading in the right direction. When I look at the figures I'm reminded of my dad dancing when out on the town :smiling5:
Ha, your thinking of the one that keeps falling over then ! :smiling5:

Nice garden JR. The pond looks a little over stocked...I'll get me rod & reel!! Lol
Your Ivan's are looking good! Tell comrade Putin to keep his muddy boots off the fenders please!
Cheers, Rick H.

Cheers Rick, over stocked pond is right, we stared with about 5, that large ghost Koi is now 35/36 years old was one. He/ she was prolific breeder, we have about 15 odd black fish, some orange and black and the normal goldfish. When it reaches it natural level of stocking they stop breeding. It's a pity humans don't do the same :smiling3::smiling3::At the moment we have about 30all differing in age. The goldfish seem to live for about 5 /6 years .

Thanks for looking in and commenting.
John .

D

Deleted member 7181

That's why I'm looking at going straight for the Infinity rather than one of their lower ranges. The crown cap you pictured above, the selectable flow stop, lids for the paint cup etc. are all parts that can be bought as additions to tune up the likes of an Ultra, but are supplied as standard with the Infinity. Those things would be essentials for me and adding them on would bring the price to virtually the same as an Infinity, so might as well go straight to the top.

Funny how my £30 Chinese cheapy includes most of those feature already though :smiling5:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening all, and to, Andy think that's the best way.
Right paint has started to be applied, seem to have lost my previous wet pallet, so going to leave the faces till I find a suitable container.
This is where I'm up to ,on the officer I cut some pewter and made a new belt, including a section of scrap PE for the buckle. Then taking some kitchen foil I cut a thin strap for the map case. Great fun trying to ca it to the case, after several attempts of gluing to my finger I managed to glue it to the tweezer
! Eventually I was successful but glad that was done.
IMG_20190527_185320288.jpgIMG_20190527_185356235.jpgIMG_20190527_185522977.jpgIMG_20190527_185402882.jpgIMG_20190527_185330410_BURST009.jpg
Any tips ,comments welcome .
John