BAC Lightning F.6

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The annoying thing here is that the plastic pitot tube was flexible enough that it looked like all was good if I just took a little care with it. I had sort of bumped it plenty of times with no harm, but then I accidentally swept it through the loose junk on my work surface (resin offcuts, mainly) and found myself holding a model with about 3 mm of pitot tube instead of 35 :sad:

First Name
Ross
I used to break them all the time as well, now I paint them and put them aside until everything is done.

cheers
Ross

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve slowly been applying more decals — I’ve now gotten to the stage where I’m putting on all the little bits of stencilling that take ages to do. Will post some pictures today or tomorrow :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As promised:

B58B2A2E-63D4-4B7A-B30D-93B1179ABE3B.jpeg
B2F8C5CA-6C59-454C-B777-7D1D0A928190.jpeg

These are just the main decals, though, plus a couple of the smaller ones. I still have a couple dozen more to add, so I’d better get started now I’m here in my modelling room anyway :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jakko,
Well done for staying with this, I would binned it! - as I did recently with a 190D-10! ( a bad reaction trying to strip paint ). I find that a self administered error causes me to lose interest - no doubt a psychologist could make something of that! :sad:
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Well done for staying with this, I would binned it!
Every time I see a photo on here of a model in a rubbish bin, I think to myself, “WTF? Why?” I don’t think I’ve ever thrown a model away :smiling3:

I find that a self administered error causes me to lose interest - no doubt a psychologist could make something of that! :sad:
I’ve got a different problem in that respect: if it’s bad enough and/or there are enough setbacks, I get frustrated because of the setbacks that cause me to want to quit, and then get more frustrated because I want to finish the thing but am not getting anywhere :smiling3: The end result is usually swearing, doing something else for a while (say, half an hour), going back for another attempt, and repeating this cycle until I get somewhere. (Though I must add that this behaviour is more likely when trying to write software than with building models.) Unfinished models in my case usually result from finding something else more interesting, rather than things going wrong during building.

Should look nice on a stand in the flight postion :smiling:
Definitely, and I just today found a base I bought something like ten years ago to put a figure on, that will work just fine for this Lightning.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Every time I see a photo on here of a model in a rubbish bin, I think to myself, “WTF? Why?” I don’t think I’ve ever thrown a model away :smiling3:

I’ve got a different problem in that respect: if it’s bad enough and/or there are enough setbacks, I get frustrated because of the setbacks that cause me to want to quit, and then get more frustrated because I want to finish the thing but am not getting anywhere :smiling3: The end result is usually swearing, doing something else for a while (say, half an hour), going back for another attempt, and repeating this cycle until I get somewhere. (Though I must add that this behaviour is more likely when trying to write software than with building models.) Unfinished models in my case usually result from finding something else more interesting, rather than things going wrong during building.

Definitely, and I just today found a base I bought something like ten years ago to put a figure on, that will work just fine for this Lightning.
Hooray yes lets see her fliying just how I remember seeing the real aircraft flying over my house fantastic days but just notice something Jakko have you fitted in the afterburner jet pipe ? an the probe

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
good luck with the last decals.:thumb2:
Nearly all of them are on now:

A86A24CB-55DE-4654-915A-B6FDED7A204D.jpeg

To give an idea of how much this is:

DEE866DA-E66A-4BE0-9411-EB1C50B49A9C.jpeg

I’m not normally in the habit of crossing things off on instruction sheets, but with this one it was almost a necessity.

And some close-ups:

85915884-9855-4BDF-A634-8EDB2DEF5850.jpeg
D913C74E-8332-4597-BEFA-CE9C9B22B3D9.jpeg

All that remains is the decals on the canopy, but because I repainted that half an hour ago or so I decided to wait until tomorrow, and the Firestreak missiles. Then I can finally go on to accentuating the panel lines.

just notice something Jakko have you fitted in the afterburner jet pipe ? an the probe
I left the exhausts separate because they need to be painted gun metal instead of aluminium, and it’s far easier to do that with the part off the model. The pitot tube on the nose I already covered above: I broke it and made a replacement from steel wire that I’ll only fit once the model is otherwise fully done, to avoid more mishaps.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nearly all of them are on now:

View attachment 330900

To give an idea of how much this is:

View attachment 330903

I’m not normally in the habit of crossing things off on instruction sheets, but with this one it was almost a necessity.

And some close-ups:

View attachment 330901
View attachment 330902

All that remains is the decals on the canopy, but because I repainted that half an hour ago or so I decided to wait until tomorrow, and the Firestreak missiles. Then I can finally go on to accentuating the panel lines.

I left the exhausts separate because they need to be painted gun metal instead of aluminium, and it’s far easier to do that with the part off the model. The pitot tube on the nose I already covered above: I broke it and made a replacement from steel wire that I’ll only fit once the model is otherwise fully done, to avoid more mishaps.
Ahaha I see ok great stuff

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I remember building this. 2734 tiny 1:72 decals later and it was finished. Yeah.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Now I have the problem of putting the decals onto the canopy frame, where it’s hard to see where the frame ends and the masking tape begins :smiling3:

D

Dave S4

Looks great thus far.
Quick question : what are the clamps you use? Are they sprung or adjustable?
Thanks

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
what are the clamps you use?
Do you mean these?

img_4895-jpg.319738

They’re adjustable, and this basic type:

Q-G53006N.JPG

Pressing the big trigger in front of the grip tightens the clamp a bit (so press repeatedly until it’s tight enough), pressing the little trigger in front of that releases the sliding part so it can be moved forward or back at will.

These are available in all kinds of sizes, I once bought a small one that looked the right size for modelbuilding, and then got two more when the first one proved its use. (Though one of those two others was a cheap model from Aldi that I would recommend you don’t buy — it just doesn’t work as well as a brand-name one.)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jakko
Looking rather good :thumb2: It is often the case that a build which has tested your skills and patience gives most satisfaction when got over the finish line. Decals add a lot to plane builds.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I wouldn’t go so far as saying this has really tested my skills and patience — it’s a straighforward model with a straightforward paint job, let down mainly by unforeseen paint incompatibility :smiling3:

But all the decals are on now, so on to the panel lines!

D

Dave S4

Do you mean these?

img_4895-jpg.319738

They’re adjustable, and this basic type:

Q-G53006N.JPG

Pressing the big trigger in front of the grip tightens the clamp a bit (so press repeatedly until it’s tight enough), pressing the little trigger in front of that releases the sliding part so it caThan be moved forward or back at will.

These are available in all kinds of sizes, I once bought a small one that looked the right size for modelbuilding, and then got two more when the first one proved its use. (Though one of those two others was a cheap model from Aldi that I would recommend you don’t buy — it just doesn’t work as well as a brand-name one.)
Thanks very much.