back in the day ....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris
As Tim says it's funny now but at the time you must have been scared stiff.
Jim
HI JIM no i was not scared stiff. more like gobsmacked an in disbelive that it happened but when i calmed down i had a good laugh at myself thinking you silly sod an lookin in the kit box i found the thin metalsticky tape an thought well if i had stuck it on it my model might have flown but well we all make mistakes dont we young or old its a human failing lol
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
As long as no one gets hurt, that’s the secret right there…a good laugh at yourself……

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
YES you are right Jim as i dint tell my mate's as they would have wanted a go
chris
Absoly Chris….but who is this Jim you are talking about LOL :cold-sweat: ….P Diddy used to call me that all the time as well….

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
In my youth I built a rather large tow line free flight sail plane. The idea being a slow fuse would burn down while it was getting some altitude, burn through an elastic band that would then put the rudder to the left or right. Anyhow, first flight went 'ok' and after the thing came down I set it up again. to get a bit more height I made the fuse a bit longer and launched it with the aid og my bike. Pedel bike that is. The glider shoot off up into the sky and headed off and up. I stopped and waited.... and waited then waited some more as my sail plane got smaller and smaller. Then I found the fuse, still smouldering on the ground. It must have caught on the grass and got pulled out the clip.
I never saw the glider again. :sad:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Absoly Chris….but who is this Jim you are talking about LOL :cold-sweat: ….P Diddy used to call me that all the time as well….
Oh sorry Tim the Tims an the Jims i get mixed up with i'll try an whatch it in future lol
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
In my youth I built a rather large tow line free flight sail plane. The idea being a slow fuse would burn down while it was getting some altitude, burn through an elastic band that would then put the rudder to the left or right. Anyhow, first flight went 'ok' and after the thing came down I set it up again. to get a bit more height I made the fuse a bit longer and launched it with the aid og my bike. Pedel bike that is. The glider shoot off up into the sky and headed off and up. I stopped and waited.... and waited then waited some more as my sail plane got smaller and smaller. Then I found the fuse, still smouldering on the ground. It must have caught on the grass and got pulled out the clip.
I never saw the glider again. :sad:
PROBERLY gone into orbit Ian lol but yes its sad to lose something like that that gave you so much pleasure an fun just like me an my F86 SABER but then i dint get much flyin time with that did i lol
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
My Father used to fly his slope soarers at a site called Higger Tor, just south of Sheffield. It was a popular site on Sunday morning - the local modelmaking society flew all their planes there. As a young lad, I used to sit with my father & watch the activity ( this was mid-60s ). A lot of the big gliders had radio control, but this was early days, and the range wasn't too great. It was a common occurrence for one to go out of range ( or malfunction ) - it would be followed by an anxious owner in car, with a spotter hanging out the window, as best as the roads would allow!
Powered models used to fly there as well some real large models - big engines with wooden props. Whilst one gent was test running his engine he managed to chop his little finger off, by sticking it in the propeller! Loads of blood all over the plane! As a kid, it was fascinating!!! :tongue-out:
Dave

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
:smiling:good to see the thread has stimulated some fond memories ... some other stuff i found ..... i did have a tub of pins with bobbles as the head but those have gone awol it seems .... the smell of balsa wood glue certainly stimulated a few memories .... :rolling: the little wooden thingee is a home made sanding instrument. my dad folded a piece of sand paper around it .. pinned it with a tack and used it as his sander .... the razor blades he used to cut the balsa wood. goodness knows how old those are .....
20211009_085740.jpg20211005_154332.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Man, I haven’t seen a tube of Britfix for over forty years…….I’m sure it’s been in use more recently, but it’s the first one I’ve seen :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The packaging alone tells you that it’s 1970s at the latest … The UHU tubes are more recent, they have a European recycling marking on them (the circle with the arrows under the “35 ml ℮” on the side of the box), which was originally introduced in Germany in the early 1990s, but this looks newer to me.