Bandai 1/48 Snowspeeder

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice save Chris. Glad to see you have had the opportunity to get back to the bench with this one

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Update Time...

well she's had a quick jaunt into the paint shop...

first off... Black Basing. this helps give underlying shade to the base coat..

IMG_1616.JPG

and after a couple of hours it was onto the Base Coat...

Which i'd like to add shouldn't be a point to stress over,
There are a billion and one different ideas on the Interweb as to which colours and tonal variations Lucasfilm Ltd used when constructing the original studio models,
And granted that the original paint they used is no longer available..(highly poisonous),
Most folk mix up something that is 'fairly close' to how the Studio Models looked....(If you take into consideration the use of studio lighting and even the quality of the colour film stock that was used, no two images of the subject look the same..),
So with that in mind i mixed my own colour up, this was a mix of Tamiya XF-2 , XF-55 and a odd drop of XF-20...

XF-2 (Flat White) 3 Parts,
XF-55..(Deck Tan) 1 Part,
XF-20 (Medium Grey) 1 part

This was thinned to a 'cheeky' 50/50 mix and then lightly Ghosted or misted onto the black base at around 10 to 15 psi.
IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

Leave this overnight to harden off, and then onto a bit of extra panel work,

For the various panels I painted them with varying tones of the base coat..(just added a bit of White or a bit more Deck Tan to suit how I was feeling, I figure that when painting, if it looks ok then it can't be far wrong...

And also remember, there are no hard and fast rules about just which panels should be a different colour, (even during filming the crew used the same models to replicate different ships....they just added various colour changes to existing models), So my advice is to just have fun with it...

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

Now although this might look a little 'bright and clean', by the time I've finished the weathering the original base coat colour will change completely... see my 'X-wing build' for further proof ....lol

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threa...s-build-incom-t-65-x-wing-fighter-red5.30079/

hope you like it so far..

Last edited:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Update Time,
The Snowspeeder hasn't had much done to it this week...too much work and not enough bench time...

However, I managed to grab an hour or so yesterday to throw a few bits together in a scratch-building kind of way and came up with this...

'Transfer Trolley'...... They've gotta move these things around right ?

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

S

ScifiGeek

looks very nice ! looks like I'm going to get this model one of these days ! great job !!!