Base coat for metallics.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have had a search through the paint forums but not seen anything about what would be the best base coat/primer for acrylic metallic paint. Sorry to be a pain, but does anyone know if I need something other than basic primer?

Andy.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I am just doing a P-38 build in NMF. I am using Vallejo Metal Colour Surface Primer and the Metallic paints.

Link can be found below in my signature

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for that, nice job on the P 38. At the moment the only paints I have are Tamiya but I may look at Vallejo as the finish on your mode; looks really good.

Andy.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Andy.

I originally bought the Tamiya Metal paints but i don't like the finish on them. But that is my own personal preference. Some will also recommend AK Metal paints. I haven't used them though. The Vallejo Metal paints are enough for me. Plus you can brush paint them too which is great for small items

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
MRP all day, their black gloss base is brilliant and sprays like a dream.

All of their metals are extremely realistic and again spray like dream

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
I use gloss black as a base for metallics, but any paint that gives a smooth blemish free finish should be fine
Dave

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for that Dave, should I use primer first then the gloss black? As you can see I am new to all this painting stuff, more used to iron on coverings with RC model aircraft and have not done much in the way of paint for about 30 years so no doubt there will be more questions to come.

Andy.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I agree with Dave and Alan. A gloss black primer. Vallejo metal color primer is gloss black. It is acrylic and should provide a nice base for a metallic top coat. I actually rather like the Vallejo metal color range. Ok not up to the level of lacquer metallics but pretty good.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
the secret of a good metallic finish - is to have a blemish free, oil free surface to apply it to. The slightest blemish, bad seam, mismatch will stand out like a sore thumb! I generally give a light primer coat ( std primer ), which will show up any problems - which should be dealt with before moving onto the black gloss base. Let the basecoat thoroughly dry - 24hrs at least, before applying the metallic!
Dave