Baseboard suggestions

B

black5

Having just been quoted £60.00 (plus £8.00 shipping) for a 1050 x 670 (3' 6" x 2' 3") baseboard with Sundeala top, can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative?

As the size suggests, the baseboard is required for an N Gauge model railway layout which has to be transportable. Therefore, must be light, strong and capable of taking track pins.

Any suggestions appreciated.

TC

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
That seems a bit steep, I got a piece of MDF 3'x2' for about £6 at B&Q, it's thick enough to take the pins it's light and sturdy enough not to twist and warp.

B

black5

That seems a bit steep' date=' I got a piece of MDF 3'x2' for about £6 at B&Q, it's thick enough to take the pins it's light and sturdy enough not to twist and warp.[/quote'] Thanks for the tip. I was on my way to B&Q when I stopped off at a local timber merchant and picked up a 48" x 30" off-cut which they sell as a hobby board. Price: £7.00.

N

new to trains

hollow doors, the ply skinned type are great for layouts, the hollow egg box type of interior is easy to pass cables through for layout lighting or points, its rigid enough to support the layout and very very strong, easy to get in or out of my estate car, easy to take to the club or the local model show- plus they are cheap about 15 quid from the diy store

S

skulker

RE: Baseboard help....

Many people go by different boards, sundeala is ment to be the best, but its very expencive, the best allternative is probably chip board, avialable in most stores, HAPPY MODELLING!!!!! :thumbs-up