bash at modulation

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening

After very much appreciated help i had a first go at modulation

I watched the Andy's hobby store video and will try the method of white underneath the main coat as it looked very good. below are my efforts, i lightened down the top coat of panzer grey with a light grey and lightly sprayed at 15psi trying to get in the middle of the panels??

modulation 001.JPG
modulation 002.JPG
modulation 003.JPG

not sure if it stands out very well

Would appreciate advice and frank opinions please

The biggest problem i have is working in a damp, dusty and cold garage having nightmares controlling dirt and dust etc

thanks bob

D

Deleted member 7181

Looks good to me Bob.

I know some go for even more contrast than that but I guess there has to be a point where it become more art than a realistic effect.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Andy, always worried if i go too far or not enough

Think another practice first before the actual StuG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Also try and remember where the panel is placed on the tank/aircraft. Some panels will not fade as much because the are used more as walkways and also get dirtier near exhausts.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks spot on to me bob , just the right amount of variation , cheers tony

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Looks good to me, I have the same problem it's hard to know sometimes when to stop, but you look like you've nailed it right.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Bob

There are loads of modulation videos on U Tube, but the Adam Wilder ones show you how extreme you can go and how it comes back to reality.

Perhaps you should check out Steamgeezer and a pink comet and Herbert Erpederp and a purple cheffee.

When its an unrealistic colour you can see how extreme you can go.

In the end it is up to you, but it is all part of the fun and experimenting with the AB is just what the Dr ordered.

We just need the weather, if you use a garage or shed for spraying !

Have a go and go extreme

HTH's?

Steve H

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Al, thats very useful advice!

Thanks mr Viking, its stop or do i just do a little bit more lol

Many thanks Tony, glad you like my efforts

Hi Steve hows the joints, better i hope, will do cannot forget those names lol

I agree with you Jim, may try more just to see for myself but happy so far. Thanks!

Had another look before dinner after it dried and i am quite happy but more practice and slightly thinner paint.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bob looks good from here your find a couple of filter coats will settle it all down and blend it in you might have some but mig do a filter for panzer gray Dave.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Dave, forgot about that! Getting old lol

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm a great believer in the old filter coat (not to be confused with a wash two separate entities completely) I'd go as far as saying makes a bad spray job look good well in my case anyway.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sorry Bob but I don't see modulation but the cloud effect we would normally do in the middle of each panel which you've done well.
Modulation is the forced lighting shades between panels from a chosen angle.
I don't actually like this method but it does work for light box dioramas where your view is fixed.
Experiment a bit more till you get the hang of it. There are lots of videos that show how its done. I hope I wasn't too critical but just wanted to get it right on this modulation thingy.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Modulation is the forced lighting shades between panels from a chosen angle.
Well I never, that's something else I've learnt. When I first heard the term colour modulation it seems I took 2 + 2 and made 5 lol

Since modulation in the electronics world refers to a variation (amplitude, frequency etc) I figured colour modulation was just a variation in colour (or shade) across a model. It appears the term is used for something much more specific than that! Time to go and relearn everything I thought I knew about it :smiling5:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Bob

First off what you have done is great. You have created a nice variation in colour and once the filters blend it all together you are all set to go with the fine detail painting.

However as Richard says, this is not modulation in its purest form. Modulation is all about painting a panel a dark colour, another panel a light colour, another medium colour, another slightly darker etc etc until you get a multi coloured model. Now this can be quite daunting when you have spent weeks creating a lovely model. However if you can master the process it does create a wonderful finish to a model.

I know I keep going on about this on the forum but its all about trying these multitude of processes we have available and creating your own style. This takes time and several builds to do. One thing I can say for certain Bob, is that if you keep doing what you are doing then one day you will sit back and look at your finished model and say Yep that's the look I have been after. They call it the Eureka moment.

So carry on the great work you are doing as everything is good in the hood

Steve

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Bob

I found the book I was thinking about, which gives a 2 photo explanation, from Adam Wilder's painting and finishing book II, excellent by the way

The pictures are for reference only and are better than a 1,000 words LOL

Extreme modulation
20200109_075325.jpg

Extreme weathering
20200109_075414.jpg

As it has already been said by Steve J and others, create your own style, whatever you are happy with.
It's the fun part of the hobby.

Steve H

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Bob

I found the book I was thinking about, which gives a 2 photo explanation, from Adam Wilder's painting and finishing book II, excellent by the way

The pictures are for reference only and are better than a 1,000 words LOL

Extreme modulation
View attachment 369247

Extreme weathering
View attachment 369248

As it has already been said by Steve J and others, create your own style, whatever you are happy with.
It's the fun part of the hobby.

Steve H

Yup, that's it Steve H. The extreme modulation can be quite wierd if left untreated with tints, filters and weathering. Works best on large flat surfaces with monotone paint schemes. I still suck at it with this amtrack I did...

LO149.jpg LO198.jpg

Still too subtle.

Cheers,
Richard

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good god chaps i need to go back to school but seeing and learning a lot!

Pleased i seem to be on the right track but a few more miles to go lol

Will give proper modulation a bash but seems to be a lot of paint mixing lol

Thanks all for the up front opinions, exactly what i wanted:thumb2:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Steve / Richard

Would the many different darker panels be on panels more in the shade and the varoius lighter ones more in sunlight!!!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Absolutely. Best way to do it is set up a lamp next to your model and see how the light creates areas of shadow and light