Basics of scenery

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
It's starting to get colder so I will be going in to the loft to make a start on my layout, but I need some tips on whats the best way to start it.

also what is the best thing to use to make the hills etc? I was thinking of chicken wire and paper mache (is that spelt right?) but it's a long time since I made it so is it just floor, water and paper? and in what sort of quantity?

And also any other tricks or tips that I need to know from the start :smiling3:

B

Bluewavestudios

According to my Old Bible - (The ModelMakers Handbook by Albert Jackson and David Day), that is still the best way to make hills etc, Obviously you don't want the consistency of the glue to be too sloppy, basically mix the glue as per instructions on the packet and then do the paper mache as you did in school days, lots of newspaper in there enough to cover the area you are doing in a reasonable thickness allowing for sculpting etc. Don't forget to stick on the tree bark bits where you want to add rock faces. Polyfilla or plaster of paris can also be added after when dry to create rock faces and even ploughed fields using a comb with a few teeth removed. These look very convincing when painted up in the right colours afterwards.

The above book I mentioned has excellent chapters for model railways and photos / diagrams on just how to do this, it came out early 80's but you might be able to find it 2nd hand in a book shop........This book is an excellent modelling reference for all types of modelling...some of the info re R/C modelling is a bit basic now but the principles still stand today.

You might still be able to order the book if you are lucky:

The ISBN ref is 0 7207 1250 5 Published by Dorling Kindersley 1981 (They are still in business)

Regards........Mark

Last edited:
D

double00

It's starting to get colder so I will be going in to the loft to make a start on my layout, but I need some tips on whats the best way to start it.also what is the best thing to use to make the hills etc? I was thinking of chicken wire and paper mache (is that spelt right?) but it's a long time since I made it so is it just floor, water and paper? and in what sort of quantity?

And also any other tricks or tips that I need to know from the start :smiling3:
Paper Mache - consists of paper shredded into strips - water - and

wallpaper adhesive.

Over night soak in container filled with clean water the shredded paper. Next day pour out water, then add a mixture of wallpaper adhesive (rough guide - half of the adhesive packet to 1/4 pint of cold water) to the shredded paper -and thoroughly mixed to a fine slurry. Cover chicken wire or other suitable material with a thin layer of slurry and allow to dry out completely. Repeat layers until correct thickness is obtained.

Colouring such as emultion can be added to the mix prior to using or painted on after completion of model.

N

new to trains

the alternative is to use 'modroc cloth' or plaster bandage instead of paper mache- ( this is the type of product used to make plaster casts for broken limbs !) use the chicken wire as a former and replace the paper mache with strips of plaster bandage, just cut to length or correct size, dip in a bowl of water, quickly drain of excess water and lay wet plaster cloth on the wire and form your hillside, when dry it forms a very strong tough structure, plaster bandage can be found on ebay and at good rail model shops, its cheap it forms a solid structure and its white so it takes paint very very well, you can easily build up textures and surfaces too, rocks, earth or whatever, i have used this for both landscape models and my first n scale layout, its excellent, and quick and clean.... but for me its the strength that is the big bonus.....