Battered Bergepanther With Large Chips And Salt Please.

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Yet again, refusing to learn any lessons from life, I'm going for the worn-out, parked in the sea, tough life look. I may just be trying to get it out of my system....
I started this kit around 30 years ago. The rear sprockets kept breaking off so back in the box it went.
I'm using it as an exercise in chipping & subtle rust work but hoping I might get it to look complete and decent.
Anyway, I've primed & painted over the awful winter camo I tried to do, I'm going to leave the drivers compartment "as is" with maybe a bit of highlighting, re-do the winch house & then try and hone my skills on the hull & running gear without resorting to covering it all in mud & crud.

Pics.

Bit of primer...

9aiYFgC.jpg

As it was for 30 years.

yKPnl4V.jpg

Not really going to do much here..

v1LtS6Q.jpg

Going to try and liven this up a bit

EuixZNN.jpg

This is where I ended up earlier.

kXuUoud.jpg

In reality I'm looking at this as practice for having a bash at the Takom kit at some point., but I would like it to work out ok.

Dan.

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Oh Dan, a Bergepanther!!! Built by M.A.N. 54 kms down the road from where I live!!! Bring it on Sir, I'm in........

BTW, sour cream and onion chips are the way to go in my book....

Prost
Allen

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Evening all. I finally set aside a few hours today and got started. I've decided to take it steady as I think I rushed the half track and wasn't best pleased with some aspects of what I did. We live and learn.

As I've already said, this is meant to be a practice piece but if it goes well....

Added mesh (spare from the flakvierling) to the rad covers/ fan vents on the rear deck and started messing around with the wood.

23sGOMl.jpg

I repainted the winch & winch house in dark yellow and then set about some gentle chipping, a little rust and some weathering on the winch.

EerNfd2.jpg

hxd7XqP.jpg

k3nvSgi.jpg

I'll do the floor at the same time the inside of the hull to get some continuity.

Thanks to all of you for your continuing encouragement and inspiration.

Dan

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Winch drum looks excellent Dan. Only thing I’d say is that if those cable drum teeth drive the cable drums then they probably wouldn’t have so much paint on them? I might be wrong though, I don’t know how one of these works ;)

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Winch drum looks excellent Dan. Only thing I’d say is that if those cable drum teeth drive the cable drums then they probably wouldn’t have so much paint on them? I might be wrong though, I don’t know how one of these works ;)
You are right, of course.
In my defence, they were a lot easier to paint the first time before I glued it all together !
I may have a bash at them with a toothpick or something.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
You are right, of course.
In my defence, they were a lot easier to paint the first time before I glued it all together !
I may have a bash at them with a toothpick or something.
Thinking that they'd possibly have thick black grease?

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Thanks for all the positive waves.

I spent another hour on it this evening. I started looking at pictures of the Takom and Meng Bergepanthers and thought about adding detail but have decided to work with what I have and wait for another kit.

With that in mind, I just messed about with the winch house a bit. I'll add a wash and staining later and leave it at that.

Wjb0NXb.jpg

Thought I'd have a bash at the 'dozer blade too. I'm realising that the trick with this chipping lark is definitely 'less is more'.

/ Not sure if I need less or more though.... I'm happy enough with it as a first go.

cjEEGUt.jpg

pKYdVCR.jpg

Cheers, Dan.

Last edited: