Batteries

E

ellanvannin

HI

Could someone tell me where on the internet that I could purchase a spare NI-cad SC1700mAH 7.2 battery. I am very new to this hobby and don't want to get ripped off. I could also do with a charger that would tell me when the battery is fully charged and could it check to see how much power is left in another battery?

Kind regards

GC

P.S. What does 1700mAh mean??

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
P.S. What does 1700mAh mean??
basically the higher the number the longer it will last, they drain slower so last longer, and also need a little longer charge time, I'm sure someone else will describe it a bit better :smile8:

does the battery have a number on? of the top of my head I think AA are MN1500, I work for an electrical wholesaler I can see how much we can get them for.

P

Phoenix

well john describe the mah thing well if its for a car you want a higher mah so it will run longer

i dunno what these batts are called john sub c or something i forget

E

ellanvannin

The only number is the one that I put originally in the post NI-cad SC1700mAH 7.2 battery. It also has a 2 pin plug on the other end.

GC

F

fli48rc

The battery I believe is a RC Car Nicad 6 Cell Stick Pack that has a total of 7.2 Volts. The SC1700mAh refers to the amperage. I believe it means then that the 6 cells x 1700 will give you its total maximum current you can draw from it - 10,200 mAh or 10.2Ah continuously.

A

adzam

there are various places you can purchase`s the "nicad stick packs" . most , if not all come with a tamiya style nylon plug fitted as standard.

i know maplins do sell some ( from around £11 ish, and can be bought at there online store.), if possible, and your budget allows, try and go for 24oo Mah stick packs.

and yep there sub `c` type.

there are many different variations . SC, SCR,SCE altho these terms dont seem to be used as much nowadays.

you dont say what they are used for , car boat etc

P

Phoenix

i wouldnt mind a set of 3000mah tagged cells for my roto start im constantly charging it

i got a cheap 1700mah and a 1400 mah and the 1400 mah lastsa longer than the 1700

First Name
Grahame
The mah (milliamphere hour) is the capacity of the battery pack ie. how much energy it can store.

1700mah means that it will supply 1700ma (1.7 amps) for 1 hour or any combination of current x time that equals the same, if you double the current you half the time.

How long a fully charged battery "lasts for" depends on the current drawn by the motor connected to it.

If the motor takes 10amps (10,000 ma) then:

1700/10000=0.17 hours which is just over 10 mins.

That's the theory, in practice you never seem to get quite as long as the calculations would suggest.

Hope this helps.

Grahame

N

noobee captain

basically the higher the number the longer it will last, they drain slower so last longer, and also need a little longer charge time, I'm sure someone else will describe it a bit better :smile8: does the battery have a number on? of the top of my head I think AA are MN1500, I work for an electrical wholesaler I can see how much we can get them for.
Is that John offering to resell batteries?

Noobee

:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

Last edited:
N

noobee captain

The mAH relates to current draw (as stated above). Time in a boat depends on the current draw of speed controllers and motors. Best to go for low drain motors (if possible) to increase the time spent sailing.

The plug you refer to is the Tamiya type and is ubiquitous. I recently got a bargain of these on e-bay (BNIB) but be wary.

As for a charger/discharger with charge indication ... there are a couple on the market but tend to be quite dear. Get a multimeter from Maplins and check the charge. Perhaps one of the aeromodellers can suggest a make/model ata reasonable price.

Noobee

:scotland:

Last edited: