Battery drain on electric flight motors.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Test flew the Chrislea Ace and she flys like an homesick angel,but had a bit of a problem that now I have solved it could help others some day,this is what happened-

On the first flight she had a standard GWS motor up front,she flew but hug the ground not getting any height,I soon realised that she was a little underpowered and fitted a KP.02 with a speed controller working off the BEC on the receiver,the manufacturers advised me that although it was working over voltage it would work,so away I went to fly her again and this time she climbed away beautifully to about 400 feet and then the motor cut ! tried again and it did the same thing so retired to the workshop baffled as to what was happening ? a friend checked the current drain on the KP and found that it was draining the battery too quick and bringing in the BEC too quickly,in all fairness the KP motors are really aimed at free flight but I thought it was worth a try being such a powerful little motor,anyway I have had to order a Perkins electric motor to do the job,meanwhile she sits engineless on her tail awaiting her new powerplant,really looking forward to flying her again as she looked wonderful while in the air.

Has anyone else had a similar problem ?